Help diagnosing problem..

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just wanted to start this out by saying I'm not good with Mac's. I have a PC and I'm trying to fix my wifes' computer.
We have not had any problems with the computer what so ever, rarely use it, mainly to play music and check email. Nothing major and only a few hours every other day.
Last week she restarted her computer and when it turned on she got the gray screen with Folder (?) alternating. (Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5: Gray screen appears during startup)
I'm working with that Apple Support document and I'm at the Archive and Install Portion but I can't find the volume when it asks for destination directory.
If I boot from the Original Install Disc (OS version 10.4, Disc version 1.0)
I open disc utility and I get nothing under the hard drive. It shows my hard drive (60GB) but there are no volumes or system information available for it. So I am unable to run any scans.
I tried to use the Firewire connection (Pressing T on startup) with another mac to grab the data but the hard drive is not recognized.

When I try to perform an Archive and Install Installation when I get to the screen where it asks me to pick a volume it doesn't show anything.
I think this means that it is unable to mount my hard drive.

if I go to the terminal (from the OS X Install Disk) and type in df
It does not recognize the hard drive, only the DVD.

I've tried running fsck from the terminal (install disk) and it does not do anything.

Is there any hope for me to save the data?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Have a great day,

(Also, I have the original install disk, OS X (10.4), I see that there are different versions available on the OS selection, would the computer have updated the version, like windows update, rendering the DVD obsolete?)

Reaction score
I haven't tested this, but in theory.

Do you have a PC to use? I'm assuming the hard drive in the Mac is IDE.

Put the hard drive in a PC and download Parted Magic, burn ISO and boot the disk and see if you can mount the hard drive that way.

Then copy your data.

I wouldn't worry about saving any OS files or programs.

After the recovery, Use Parted Magic and wipe the disk clean and reinstall it in the mac and install the OS.

Net....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.