Just got hosed by Apple

Reaction score
Sent in iphone over some battery issues and magically get charged 200 dollars because they noticed water damage.... that the genius hadn't noticed.... that i had never gotten wet.... seems to me its an easy way to make some cash...
anyone else had this experience or any suggestions on what to do now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7
Yup, contact the Head Office at Apple (You'll find the Address on their website) and have a word with them.
Although first, it's worth trying to pace your mind back just to ensure that you really didn't spill water on it.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks Mr Mac,

I know for a fact it never got dropped in any liquid or was out in the rain or any of that sort of thing....that and the fact that had i know id be charged 200 dollars i wouldn't have sent it in... since i was planning on getting a new one in a bit when it came out anyway.... called up and they state they are going to research the case... i'm just disappointed in how it's being handled... especially since i've never had problems with them ever before... (family owns quite a few mac's , displays, and ipods..)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It should be a pretty open and shut case for them to investigate. There are moisture-sensitive labels on the inside that change colors in the presence of liquid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
Perhaps condensation got into it? You'd think a large company wouldn't need to scam people over $200, which makes me think that the moisture sensors WERE triggered.

Reaction score
yeah but how about when it is a 100% humidity out or say your phone is in the bath room when your taking a shower could set it off yet your phone never touched water.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
yeah but how about when it is a 100% humidity out or say your phone is in the bath room when your taking a shower could set it off yet your phone never touched water.

Not that I've seen - the same sensitive labels are used in most cell phones and I've never seen it triggered unless there was direct contact.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
The problem with those stickers they have in the phone is it can tripped by bringing the device from the cold outside to the warm inside or vice versa if you live in a warm climate air conditioned house to humid out doors.

Usually if a device has been exposed to water directly there will be other indicators like water spots and corrosion not just the stickers turning red.

I would call them up and complain. But dont get upset just explain the situation, and escalate if you don't get a decent response.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I know a guy who's water sensor was tripped in his 2G from leaving it in the bathroom while he was in the (steam) shower. Luckily for him he was able to convince Apple they replaced his phone for other unrelated problems.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Why would you bring your cell phone into the bathroom when you're having a shower? Are people really this busy and/or attached to their cell phones these days?

I hardly even notice mine - I even forgot to turn it on at all yesterday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Why would you bring your cell phone into the bathroom when you're having a shower? Are people really this busy and/or attached to their cell phones these days?

I hardly even notice mine - I even forgot to turn it on at all yesterday.

I used to bring my old cell into the wash room while I was having a shower if I was on call. Since I got my iPhone I don't dare. I can blow that SLA I am not killing my iPhone :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.