Want to run some old windows games

Reaction score
So i just got a new unibody macbook yesterday, and i would like to be able play some older games for windows, nothing particularly straining on resources. We are talking games like settlers, and pharaoh, stuff that could run well on windows 98 computers.

I noticed in one of the stickies, that i have three options to be able to run windows things, of the three, which do you think would be best for my needs?

Also, i have downloaded a copy of Windows XP (tell me if this is against the rules, and i will remove it), and im wondering can i install it on my Lacie external HD? For the record, the HD already has the 32 GB partition for windows and Linux set up. Im assuming that the transfer rate willl be fast enough to rub the games at full speed seeing as they are so old?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Try Crossover Games for Mac. This lets you run many Windows apps and games in OS X without installing Windows, and they run at near-native speeds. Support is hit or miss... some things work great, others not so great, others not at all. Being much older games you are looking at, in my experience in using Cx Games, chances are very good they'll run mostly well, if not completely.
CodeWeavers

Check their compatibility database for the games you want to run and see if others have already had success. Be sure to read the bulletin boards and notes for each game.
Compatibility - Browse Apps by Name - CodeWeavers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Also, i have downloaded a copy of Windows XP (tell me if this is against the rules, and i will remove it)

*sigh* OF COURSE it's against the rules. Didn't you read them?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.