How BIG are you!! hehe

A

amartins02

Ok, so I am selling my tablet pc to get an apple. Problem is if I don't get enough money then I will not be able to get the 14 inch. My tablet now is a 12 inch but I wouldn't mind going bigger. How do you guys like the 12 inch? Any of you go from a larger screen down to a 12 inch? thanks.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
If you like to multi-task with different windows in the forefront, then the 12" might not be for you. But if you don't multi-task, then you'll like the 12".

OP
A

amartins02

ok, so I take multitask as having multiple windows open at once? Doesn't it do like windows where it tiles? If you are on a particular window and other apps are open how would you go about opening them again or regaining that screen? Is it done by restarting the app? not familiar with that part of the os.

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

hit command ( apple key) and then tab if you hold the command key and then press tab you can scroll through i menue of all open apps. or u can use expose key f9

Reaction score
i dont think it matters.... they don't really have more screen space because the 12 and 14 are stretched to the same resolution.. 1024x768

OP
A

amartins02

So that would make a 12 inch somewhat bearable then? I am using a 12 inch now but do miss the larger screen. Now of course using a different os means different ways of going about things. So is the expose somewhat similar to alt tab on pc's? Would you guys suggest holding out and getting a 14 inch? thanks.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, what I mean is that you can't really have two windows open side by side easily is as you might with a bigger screen. I'm a college student, so when I write my papers, it's easier to have my word processor on one side and Firefox on the other. But with my 12" iBook, I would have to use exposé, which brings all windows into prospective, then I just to back and forth to the other app.

Reaction score
well id rather have the 14 inch... there's no extra screen space, it's just stretched at 1024x768 to fit whatever screen. You will be able to fit the same stuff on each screen, the 14 inch will just appear stretched. Go with the 14" !

OP
A

amartins02

wow, even when I had a larger screen I never did a paper side by side with a browser. The screens would be to thin and I would have to scroll sideways to see the test. Is that how you did it? even on a 14 inch I wouldn't do that. So if that is the case do you think a 12 inch is good enough?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
amartins02 said:
So if that is the case do you think a 12 inch is good enough?

You might as well then, if this is not a problem for you.

OP
K

Kokopelli

You have significantly less screen real estate with the 12" but you learn to adapt. I usually have a second monitor attached and make use of Virtue to split things up into logical screens. If you like to run and see the visual output of multiple programs at the same time you have less room with the 12" then you do larger laptops, that is fairly self evident. I am not convinced that this is a significant disadvantage though.

Regardless of screen size you can (and usually will) have multiple programs running at the same time. Switching between apps is basically the same in Windows and OS X, you can alt-tab or select the app in the Dock. You can minimize, which is the same idea as Windows, or you can hide a running app. Minimizing is done on a window by window basis whereas hiding hides the entire app, either way the app continues to run. That is the general idea anyway.

I have been using ultra portables for almost 4 years now. It does take some adapting to but it is not detrimental to normal use. For me the portability and weight were worth sacrificing a bit of screen space for.

OP
D

Desolate One

It really depends on your application. I use my 14" as a desktop replacement, thus the 12" would be too small. If I had say a 20" iMac (oh yah), I would have picked up the 12" for portability.

OP
A

amartins02

yea makes sense that it depends on the context of the situation. I might swipe a good deal on a 14 inch. If worse comes to worse I will just get a 12 inch. Not that its bad but just because it is what I can afford.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I love my 12" iBook - for me portability is a big issue though.

But multitasking is no problem even if you can't see multiple windows on the screen at once thanks to exposé.

Example: Let's say I want to drag a picture from my browser into an e-mail to send my friend. I just click and drag the picture, hit exposé (which shrinks all windows temporarily so you can see them all at once) then I hold the cursor over the window I need, it comes to the front and I can drop the image into the email.

Simple and no hassle - even on a 12"...

OP
C

crispeto

I had a 14.1 inch HP and went to the 12" ibook and I've never looked back. I love my 12" screen and have never missed the 14.1.

OP
A

amartins02

crispeto said:
I had a 14.1 inch HP and went to the 12" ibook and I've never looked back. I love my 12" screen and have never missed the 14.1.
Yea, I know I sound like a broken record but, I have a tablet which has a 12 inch screen. I have gotten used to it. Although I do miss a 14 inch screen. But i have a feeling that in the long run it will be to big, but I still want it lol. I went to CompUSA to check them out but there all locked up. Maybe I will ask them to take off that bar so I can check them out.

OP
C

code777

ugh CompUSA, anyway i have the 12 and I find it fine. For portability its a must but if its your main computer you may opt for the 14.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.