Trouble connecting a PC Computer to Time Capsule

Reaction score
I recently had a new roommate move in. We currently have the 500GB Time Capsule as our Wireless Network. There are also about 5 computers in the house that all can connect to the wireless router with no problems. Two of them are Macs and the others are PC. The new guy computer is finding the network and is saying it is connected. The wireless icon shows all bars. We even entered the network key in fine. The problem is when we open IE for Firefox it says it can not connect. I thought it may be his firewall so I disabled that. Same issue. When I installed the Airport software it can sometimes not find the time capsule. Then when it does find it, it can not connect. Tried opening cmd to ping Google and getting it can not be found. I figured maybe his wireless adapter was not compatible so I plugged the ethernet in instead. Same thing, shows it is connected however the browser are showing no connection can be found. Not sure what it could be. Any help would be appreciated.

He has a Toshiba laptop
his wireless adapter is an Atheros AR5001X+ Wireless Network Adapter 802.11b
Running Windows XP Service Pack 2
Intel Pent. 4
CPU 2.40GHZ 512 MB RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
The wired solution is the most troubling since this should work independent of any Apple installed software. Try doing this:

1) Shut off Airport
2) Plug in ethernet
3) Open a command prompt in Windows
4) Type ipconfig /release
5) Type ipconfig /renew
6) Type ipconfig /all

This should renew your DHCP (which I am assuming you are using) address. The last command will give you your ip information. You should look to see if the machine has been given a valid IP address. Depending on how you have your base station setup, you should see something like

10.0.1.n

It sounds like this might be the same issue with the Airport, but one problem first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Sorry, command #1 should have read

1) Shut of wireless adapter on the PC.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you. That worked. Now if I can just get the wireless to work. When the Wireless was enabled it was giving me back an IP and said connected. Is it possible its the network Drives? The last time they were updated were in 2006. Tried finding an update for his network drives, however not sure where a reliable site to download would be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.