a device file named trojan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HDD Mac OS X-10.5.8, Apple iPod nano 8GB Black
Hi all,

I noticed a device file as follows in /dev directory,

tty._trojan-1

Is it a a virus? If so, how could I get rid of this one?

Since I am new to Mac, I don't have much idea about this. Could anyone, shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Well if you are concerned it is a trojan (acquirable only if you are pirating software from certain places hosting it), then get yourself some AV software and clean it. There are quite a few freebies out there for OS X.

Reaction score
It's not fair to say you can only acquire a virus from pirating software.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
While this may be so, it is a very common way of getting them. In most cases when someone gets a trojan, it involves downloading pirated software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

That's not what I said. First off, trojans are not viruses. Secondly, in the case of the two known TROJANS that can affect OS X, they are disguised as legitimate software on piracy websites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7
I say download iAnivirus my friend has it, and she recommends it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 2 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1 GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM, OS X 10.4.11. iPod Classic & iPod Nano
That's not what I said. First off, trojans are not viruses. Secondly, in the case of the two known TROJANS that can affect OS X, they are disguised as legitimate software on piracy websites.

Well I got a Trojan 2 days ago just by going to what I used to think was a legitimate source for reviews on software & systems, I did not and was not intending to download anything but something got into my MacBook which corrupted my home page and MobileMe Login bookmarked page. No I had not downloaded anything for ages and it was from iTunes months ago

Fingers crossed I have got rid of it

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Whatever it was that happened to your machine, it was not a Trojan from browsing cnet.com.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 2 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1 GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM, OS X 10.4.11. iPod Classic & iPod Nano
Well that's good to know :)

It was a pain though; something took over my settings?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HDD Mac OS X-10.5.8, Apple iPod nano 8GB Black
Thank you all,

I am ashamed that I have used pirated software. I have uninstalled those packages and used ClamavX to check my MBP. But, It has not detected any infection. What I am worrying is that, So far I have not encountered any problem with my Leopard's behaviour. Do I need to reinstall the stuff again?!

Kindly advice me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I got a Trojan 2 days ago just by going to what I used to think was a legitimate source for reviews on software & systems, I did not and was not intending to download anything but something got into my MacBook which corrupted my home page and MobileMe Login bookmarked page. No I had not downloaded anything for ages and it was from iTunes months ago

Fingers crossed I have got rid of it

Bobtomay is right. Whatever happened is not a trojan. As it is, your home page and MobileMe pages aren't even hosted on your computer, so no virus/trojan that you could have gotten would have any effect on those.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you all,

I am ashamed that I have used pirated software. I have uninstalled those packages and used ClamavX to check my MBP. But, It has not detected any infection. What I am worrying is that, So far I have not encountered any problem with my Leopard's behaviour. Do I need to reinstall the stuff again?!

Kindly advice me.

Are you having any troubles? If not, don't fix what ain't broke.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7
"lifeisabeach" is right, don't re-install Leopard if there aint nothing wrong with it. That would just be another cause of inconvenience.

Regards.

Reaction score
Google it

Google tty._trojan-1

If it is a virus or a trojan, one of the first Web sites will say, "This is a trojan. This is how you can remove it..."

Macs don't get trojans or viruses nearly as often as Windows machines, but it does happen occasionally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Considering I goaded one guy to find only one useless virus, I'd say viruses are rather rare. That one apparently arrives via a worm to boot!

What really kills me are when people blame malware for a problem without actually knowing that is what caused the problem. Software is complicated and has bugs. Jenzmac if you think you have a malware issue, at the very least download the free tools and check. Even then the issue you describe is likely not due to malware.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Found the reason!!

It was the port and terminal assigned to connect my Handphone named trojan!!

Once I changed my handphone name, it was all right now!!

Anyway this taught me, not to use pirated softwares and the real efforts behind making each software, tough I am in to developing.

Thank you so much for the community, once again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.