Trouble Ejecting External Hard Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" LED-Backlite display, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory, 512MB VRAM, 320GB HD
Ever since I upgraded to Leopard, whenever I try to eject my external Hard Drive I get the error message "The Volume could not be ejected because it is currently in use" I want to be extremely clear that I receive this message when there is no, I repeat no program running. What gives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
Maybe spotlight is indexing your drive?, that could take up some time.. Go into spotlight settings in system preferences and check there. You can exclude the drive there if you want.

Hope it helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Mine have always done this. I think it is because of power saving features in the hard drives. When I eject them you can hear them spin up and then get the error message. If I double click to open the hard drive on the desktop and hear it spin up then eject I don't get the message. The mac is just to fast for 'em I guess.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.