Some little-known OS X features

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody (Jan 09)
I've been using Macs for about two years now. Throughout then, I have discovered many things I doubt most other people know. I just wanted to share a few of them:

1) Change the volume without the clicking noise:

If for some reason you want to adjust the system volume without the "click" noise, just hold down Shift while pressing the volume buttons on the keyboard.

2) Move icons around in the system tray:

Holding down Command while clicking and dragging, you can change the order of icons in the system tray (e.g. Wi-Fi, Battery, and Time Machine icons)

3) Multitouch laptops only: Move up or down in Mail.app with a three-finger swipe:

If you have a multitouch laptop, swiping with three fingers up or down in Mail.app moves up or down in the mail message list. (Two fingers scrolls up or down in the message view)

EDIT: Looks like this one will work with all the Multi-touch laptops, thanks Dysfunction.

4) No flash in Photo Booth:

Sometimes, when taking pictures in Photo Booth, the flash can ruin the picture. You can turn if off by holding down Shift while clicking the red button.

Just thought I'd share for those interested :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I like that one with the Volume and the Shift. The others I have known about but thanks for posting them as many probably do not. That Volume one will help late at night! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
3) Unibodies only: Move up or down in Mail.app with a three-finger swipe:

If you have a unibody, swiping with three fingers up or down in Mail.app moves up or down in the mail message list. (Two fingers scrolls up or down in the message view)
Works just fine on my Penryn (non-unibody, 2008) macbook pro too ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's just called the menu bar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.