Mac doesn't detect an upgraded AirPort card at all

Reaction score
Hey! Thanks for checking my thread out, I could surely use the help! :[ So my issue is...

Wanting to familiarize myself with mac's OS before I bought a new mac, a friend of mine recently gave me a 12" Powerbook G4 (the 1ghz, DVI model, running panther os for now) to have.

Everything has be going great until I craved wireless internet connection. After research I bought an AirPort Extreme Card off of eBay. So far, after installing the card and software, it doesn't detect a card at all. Since I'm newer to macs, I feel perhaps I'm missing something? A step I should have taken?

So far, to troubleshoot, I have removed and reinstalled the card. I made sure both the card and antenna fit snugly. Reinstalled the software, but it said I have the latest version. I'm honestly not sure what to think. Any thoughts? Thanks! :Smirk:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm always willing to help a lady out ;).

Does the card show up under System Profiler? When you say it doesn't get detected, what is telling you this (system preferences)?

OP
kittenkoneko
Reaction score
I'm always willing to help a lady out ;).

Does the card show up under System Profiler? When you say it doesn't get detected, what is telling you this (system preferences)?

Thanks van!! :)

Honestly, nothing detects it! lol I try the "AirPort Setup Assistant for Graphite or Snow" and the first page I get tells me "The appropriate hardware was not found on this computer." It tells me to shut the computer down and double check it's installed. The system profiler says No Information found.

Using the apple support install guide and also looking at a couple others, I installed it a few times! It seems so simple. Take out the battery, open the port, move the antenna, pop in the card, attach the antenna, slap the battery back in and... Bam! :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You bought the Airport Extreme card from Ebay correct? Was this a used card? I am wondering if maybe the Airport card itself is defective? Since you used that guide it should be installed correctly. OSX should just pick it up and use it. Are you sure the card is seating all the way down on the on the socket in the powerbook? Is the right side up? Do you feel it seating on the pins?

Something is going on. Every Airport card I have plugged in just worked. I did nothing but boot up the computer. Check and be sure the card is in correctly like I mentioned above.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You bought the Airport Extreme card from Ebay correct? Was this a used card? I am wondering if maybe the Airport card itself is defective?
That's what I was thinking. Do you have another Mac to test this on? If it is defective, did you arrange some sort of a return agreement with the seller?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Is it possible that Panther predates the existence of that particular card? Perhaps the drivers simply aren't available.

Panther is pretty dated nowadays...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
CWA, everything I found says 10.3 works. The Airport Extreme card goes back to machines that came with Panther. The early Mac Minis could be configured with an Airport Extreme card and came with 10.3.6 Panther.

I ran into one thread where they were having the same issue as the OP and they found that even though the card seemed to be plugged in correctly needed be pushed harder into the socket then it showed up.

OP
kittenkoneko
Reaction score
CWA, everything I found says 10.3 works. The Airport Extreme card goes back to machines that came with Panther. The early Mac Minis could be configured with an Airport Extreme card and came with 10.3.6 Panther.

I ran into one thread where they were having the same issue as the OP and they found that even though the card seemed to be plugged in correctly needed be pushed harder into the socket then it showed up.

Hahaa! Well that was an easy fix! As a last ditch effort to reinstall the card, I figured I wont be as careful this time and push like you mentioned! It took a little force, but it clicked and works great now! I feel silly for crying wolf when it was just me not giving it tough love. I've installed a fair amount of PC stuff before, but I guess I just wanted to be nice to my first mac. Thanks for the help guys! I'm so glad everything's up and running now!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got it working!! Great news. Now enjoy that Powerbook!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.