Help me quickly!!!!!

A

amartins02

Is 1100.00 a good deal for a 2 month old iBook 14 inch screen? I have to call the seller back?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
thats a good deal. pretty much, but what sorta specs?

OP
A

amartins02

256 ram wifi combo cd you know normal setup, 10 months left on warranty

OP
E

Echo_

id just buy a new one its not that great of a deal and id rather buy it directly from apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yea, a few hundred $$ more will get you a new one.

OP
I

iDVFH.

Well let's see for $200 more you get a factory sealed iBook with no scratches plus not a whole bunch of potential junk in the computer..and an extra 2 months of a warranty! IMO the only way to go with used is through Apple with their refurbished..there practically brand-new..most of them are returned computers that people brought back within 10 days..

OP
C

crisrose

new one will last longer - 10 months is a long time!

pay the 200 extra

Reaction score
Wow, you guys are brutal. There's no guarantee the new one is going to last longer than the old one. Who's to say the they didn't do a software reload to take it back to factory specs, and maybe they took maticulous care of the notebook, as I know I do, and I bet most of you as well. The way I see it is, get some pictures of the used equipment, ask them about the software, (worst case is you can reload it yourself). Only downside is maybe they'll charge a bit much for shipping and you lose 2 months of Apple warranty, which by the way you can still extend if desired.

ed724

OP
A

amartins02

Yea I am still looking. I mean, I am a student so 200 goes a long way. I am gonna try to get an ibook of this guy I know for 1050.00. Its 2 months old and has a 14 inch screen. I figured, what the heck, I can save 250 and at the end of ten months get a student discounted apple care warranty with the money I saved.

OP
K

Kokopelli

Have you checked to see if you are eleigible for a student discount at the Apple store? That should go for about $1200 with student discount.

OP
A

amartins02

yea i did check actually. It is 1200.00. I am currently looking into one right now for about a thousand, maybe a bit more, and it already has 512 ram and a superdrive. Although I don't really need the superdrive because I have a dvd burner on the pc. I might be able to pick one up off a guy for 900 now or maybe a grand. I am thinking I should just give in a little more but I am going broke right now and gonna get a job
(student) so if I don't have to give up the 200 I really don't want to. But if differences are 150 or less I might just go to apple. Any real difference in a 1.2 and a 1.33 ibook? I mean any real noticable difference?

OP
I

iDVFH.

ed724 said:
Wow, you guys are brutal. There's no guarantee the new one is going to last longer than the old one. Who's to say the they didn't do a software reload to take it back to factory specs, and maybe they took maticulous care of the notebook, as I know I do, and I bet most of you as well. The way I see it is, get some pictures of the used equipment, ask them about the software, (worst case is you can reload it yourself). Only downside is maybe they'll charge a bit much for shipping and you lose 2 months of Apple warranty, which by the way you can still extend if desired.

ed724

Someone who is going to sell their computer doesn't care about it..That's why their getting rid of it..

OP
K

Kokopelli

amartins02 said:
yea i did check actually. It is 1200.00. I am currently looking into one right now for about a thousand, maybe a bit more, and it already has 512 ram and a superdrive. Although I don't really need the superdrive because I have a dvd burner on the pc. I might be able to pick one up off a guy for 900 now or maybe a grand. I am thinking I should just give in a little more but I am going broke right now and gonna get a job
(student) so if I don't have to give up the 200 I really don't want to. But if differences are 150 or less I might just go to apple. Any real difference in a 1.2 and a 1.33 ibook? I mean any real noticable difference?

Ah, that is little different. I thought it was a stock, minimum configuration iBook as listed in post #3. I would get the used one if you feel reasonably confident it is in good shape. The extra memory and super drive are more useful than an extra 10% in processor speed IMHO. You can get by on 256MB, but just barely.

If at all possible make sure to get a copy of the original purchase receipt. you will need it if you want to get an AppleCare warranty down the road.

OP
A

amartins02

Do I need the original receipt? If they registered it then is that enough to be able to call them up and just purchase it later?

OP
K

Kokopelli

I have heard conflicting answers. The original receipt would defnitely cover it, registration may not. I got the warranty when I bought mine (new) so I do not know.

You might ask at an Apple store if there is one nearby.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.