Could be the dumbest question of all time....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive
This might be the dumbest question of all time, but I've got an iMac G5 with an 80GB and I was thinking about getting an external hard drive. If I get one, can I use it to store my music and videos to save space on my internal hard drive? So basically my question is, can an external hard drive serve as a storage unit instead of just backing everything up? Thanks in advance and please don't kill me for this question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
definitely so...besides, adding an external drive can't void warranties and its easier to transport.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
...and we all know the dumbest question in the world is *not* "can I use an external drive as a regular drive?"

:)

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
The dumbest question in the world is a Windows user asking: "Why did you get a mac?"

R

Robbob91

I was once told "There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking them." But that was a good question. Does any one know of a good brand of cases for making an internal hard drive external, USB 2.0 ir firewire?

Rob

OP
donnation25
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive
I ended up getting the Maxtor 300GB external hard drive. I know I probably could have gotten one for cheaper but I bought it at a retail store because I didn't want to wait (my hard drive was getting eaten alive by videos). Does anyone have any info on these (is it a solid piece of equipment)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
D

d-funct

Robbob91 said:
I was once told "There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking them." But that was a good question. Does any one know of a good brand of cases for making an internal hard drive external, USB 2.0 ir firewire?

Rob

I once read 'he who asks a question feels like a fool for 5 minutes, however he who did'nt remains a fool forever'

gotta love the chinese proverbs :)

Reaction score
Thats exactly how i use mine. I got a cheap USB 120 GB Maxtor Hard drive and its been great! It's not even half full and I have my whole music collection (7000 tunes) in it and some photos too!

Apple Helpline were a little reluctant to help though! Also the iPhoto doesnt 'see' my Hard Drive so thats a slight problem.

Tc

Reaction score
I just bought a 160gb LaCie Porsche Firewire HD and it works flawless, storing a cloned backup of my HD and all my music, videos, and photos.

B

badmojo

iWhat said:
The dumbest question in the world is a Windows user asking: "Why did you get a mac?"

Here's another (from the movie Pirates of Silicon Valley):

"You want Xerox to consider something called a mouse?"
- Xerox board member's response to Xerox engineers presenting the first PC GUI.

Maybe the largest single business blunder of all time.

Reaction score
at my old job we used 4 Maxtor 300Gigers connected to an iMac G4 and man thise things took some crazy punushment, we never turned them off and they just jept on trucken but they can get hot so be careful where you put them. and all that it is, is an IDE HD with a firewire port on the outside of the box so if the Firewire decideds to stop working all you have to do is take it apart and make it an internal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 MacBook Air 1.7 i5 - also, Mac Mini and dead 12in iBook G4 (RIP)
donnation25 said:
I ended up getting the Maxtor 300GB external hard drive. I know I probably could have gotten one for cheaper but I bought it at a retail store because I didn't want to wait (my hard drive was getting eaten alive by videos). Does anyone have any info on these (is it a solid piece of equipment)?

I have a Maxtor 250 One-touch - so far, faultless as back-up AND storage medium... on my XP PC... hopefully when my Macs arrive TOMORROW (ordered 3 weeks ago from the website!!) there will be no probs either

PLUS, of course, Firewire will be quicker than my USB2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.