Can I just use time machine to import everything to a new hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mackbook Purchased 11/2007 500gbhd, 4G of RAM, Leopard
I am going to replace my hard drive with a new 500gb. Can I just use time machine to import everything or do I need the Microsoft software for Office and a restore disc. What exactly do I need to do to get my Mac to run exactly as it does now?

Reaction score
TM should restore everything. You could also try CarbonCopyCloner to make a bootable clone of your existing HD on the new 500 GB, then install the 500GB. You'd need an external hard drive enclosure to do this though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
You can make bootable copies with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper but TM has historic copies of files but is not a bootable back up in itself. You can boot off a new copy of the OS on the new HD and then apply all updates and then copy back all your files off TM but that is a bit slower compared to just booting off the bootable copy and copying it all back to a new Hard Drive.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies! What do you mean when you say "bootable backup in itself"?

If you guys were going to do this procedure, which route would you take?

Also, I wont need the "Registration Key" for office if I use TM?

I am a newb with all this but feel confident I can get through with help like this!

Thanks a ton!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8 core 2.8GHz 14GB RAM, Geforce 8800GT, Dell 3008WFP
You can restore from Time Machine using your OS install DVD as the bootable media.

It gives you an option to restore from Time Machine when you boot from that DVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Ether Time Machine, Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner will work for you. No problem with Office. If you have any Adobe CS2, 3 or 4 software installed, you'll need to transfer activation before cloning or using a Time Machine restore, then re activate when the new drive is fitted and booted. No problems if your using windows with Parallels, but a Boot camp partition won't boot after cloning with CCC, or at least wouldn't last time I tried.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome. Thanks again.

Any recommendations on brands of hard drives?

So basically what I will do is:
1. Install new HD
2. Insert OS disc and wait for it to prompt me to connect a drive with TM back ups.
3. Connect my TM external HD and just let it go.

Does this sound right?

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
If you restore from TM you have to install OSX as well. I have restore this way many times and it is great.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you restore from TM you have to install OSX as well. I have restore this way many times and it is great.

OSX came with my computer, correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Yes OS X was supplied on disks that came with your computer and you can install from that to a new HD but it will not be the latest viz 10.5.7. To progress to that it is best to download the combo updater here - Mac OS X 10.5.7 Combo Update - that will give you the latest version of OS X

The other important function of the install discs is being able to reset passwords if that ever becomes necessary, so make sure you look after that install disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.