• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New Monitors and PowerMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Seems Apple has released a new 20" LCD monitor and a new line of 1.42 Ghz PowerMacs....

Check them out HERE

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" iMac 700 MHz G4 640 MB
Wish I had enough $$ for those. They sure look sweet together!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
That not in my budget either. Still working on getting the 2004 Mustang Conv. (outdated link removed) :)

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
That is a nice looking Mustang. I don't usually like Mustangs, but that hood looks pretty slick.

I wish they would drop the price of the duals some more. They dropped the price of the low-end which was 867 Mhz and bumped it to 1 Ghz, but I want something that is faster than that. My iMac is great as far speediness. The only time I get the beach ball is when an app totally bombs my system. By the way, I've had to reboot 3 times this past week ( with the power button ) due to an ap I was running with the Apple X11 implementation. I want something that is a little faster. I guess $2000 isn't bad for a 1.25 Ghz, but these machines should all come standard with 128 meg video cards. These are Apples show pieces, and they are still way over priced and under maximized as far as hardware.

Not to be anti-mac, but for $1500 I could build one screeming machine based on x86 and run a kick as linux workstation. This isn't an excuse I know, because most of the Apple feel is the OS, but I think they should start competing with the other side. People are biased towards the Mhz myth, and Apple has no excuse to not be able to produce something equally as fast as a P4. I know Apple doesn't actually make the chips, but they make the deals with the people that do make the chips.

Just my rant. I am STILL by all means a switcher, and I very rarely use my Win2K machine now, I just think Apple needs to step up to the plate with stuff that people can actually afford, and use. I like the 17" PowerBooks, but in reality who really needs one of those?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If Apple wants to increase their customer base. They really need to increase the performance and reduce the cost of the hardware. I have been using Apple products since the Apple ][ plus days. I really believe Apple builts a quality product. I hope that when the 64 bits chip comes available that Aplle jumps on it in a BIG way, but don't over charge for it. You are right about the amount of default memory. They should default the video memory at about 128, and RAM at about 512.

That is just my nickels worth. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i think Apple should make a windows type app like x11. unlike Virtual PC which takes up all your memory, the Apple version would only run the apps or .exe's . If the personal computer war is anything like the game of Risk, then Apple needs to strike at them on their own turf

K

Kiwi

Today I went to the NZ Apple update, its like Macworld for NZ. They had the new 20" LCD screen there, apparently its the only one in the country at the moment, very nice indeed and good price too. Prices here just went down. I still drooled the most over the 23" LCD screen. They also had 12" powerbooks there too, nice and light, doesnt seem to run as hot as its been reported to do. Basically I left there frustrated cause I cant afford anything at the moment. But I got 2 free pens and a T-shirt :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.