How Do I Delete a Program That Will Not Close

Reaction score
I recently downloaded an app from Vision Objects that starts up automatically when I turn on the computer. It does not work, but I cannot uninstall it because it is open. I've used appdelete, but all that does is move the files to the trash. When I try to empty the trash, it will not remove those files because the app is still open.

Any suggestions?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1. Does the app have it's own uninstaller - if so - use that.

2. Some apps have their uninstaller included with the installation pkg. Run the install again and see.

3. Did this app install it's own preference pane in System Preferences? It'll be in the bottom section if it did. Go there to check for an uninstaller.

4. Go to System Preferences - Accounts - Login Items tab, remove the app in question, reboot and try it again. Not there?

5. Open Activity Monitor - select the appropriate process from the list and click Quit Process.

And you can almost always get more specific help by saying exactly what it is you want to do. In this case, by telling us which app it is you want to uninstall.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.