Multiple adobe reader icons in the dock

Reaction score
Hello all, I hope I have identified the right forum for this question; if not, don't hesitate to re-route me...

I am having a behavior that is puzzling to me. Every time I open a new pdf in Adobe Reader, a new icon is added to the dock. I don't remember it always being like this; I think it used to behave normally. That is, if I had five docs open, I would have one Adobe Reader icon in the dock and five windows within it. I've looked through the settings for Reader and for the dock, and scoured the web for a solution, but I am still stumped. I do know how to keep an application (like SpamSieve) out of the dock entirely using either Dockless or terminal commands, but I don't think that's a good solution for Reader, because I do want to see it in the dock. But just once.

Can anyone help me out?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Mine only opens a single icon.

Think I'd try removing the plist files for Adobe as a first try.
Close Adobe Reader.
There are three of them found in your home folder/Library/Preferences
named either com.adobe.acrobat... or com.adobe.Reader...
Log out and back in. Let us know.

And a great pdf reader I just started using is called Skim. Allows you to make notes in your pdf and a bunch of other stuff.

OP
M
Reaction score
Solved adobe icons

Thanks for the reply and the idea. I think that might have worked, but out on a run today I had an idea that has solved it. A long time ago I installed a firefox extension called "PDF download". It allows downloaded pdfs to be treated in various ways. One of the settings was set to open the pdf from a particular path (where adobe resides). When I changed the setting to another choice, "open using default OS reader", it opened the downloaded pdf in the right way, as another window. I probably should have noticed that before, but I download many pdfs and also view downloaded pdfs during the same day, without much regard to where it was done from.

Thanks again for the help! I'll keep the plist idea in mind for next time, for sure...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.