iPod Classic 80gb Wont Restore (error 1430)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" - 2.0ghz - 2gb - 250gb - Snow Leopard 10.6.x
First off i'd like to thank everyone in advance, i know i dont have many posts, but i have been looking around the forum for months. But here is my question...

I recently tried connecting my ipod to itunes (8.1.1, latest version) & got an error. so i put it in disk mode & reconnected it and it said i had to restore it. so i tried & once again (after asking for my password) it gave me Error 1430.

I've tried to reformat using disk utility & current have it formatted in Mac OS Extended. I also went through the steps on apples website of what they say to do when you get that error.

When not plugged in, it just shows the Apple logo on my iPod, nothing else.

I've looked at everyyyyy answer through google and this forum among others...so if anyone can help that'd be great!

I'm hoping it is not a bad hard drive. But it seems like this is a fairly common problem, but no solution has solved it yet.

Thanks.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
First off i'd like to thank everyone in advance, i know i dont have many posts, but i have been looking around the forum for months. But here is my question...
It doesn't matter how many posts you have, we are here to help :).

Can I assume that you have tried what was suggested in this article when you say you did what was suggested on Apple's website? Perhaps this thread from Apple's support discussions may shed some light on the issue.

By the way, iTunes was recently updated to v.8.2. You may have better luck with that version.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes i used the first link & none of those steps would help.

the second link unfortunately does not help but i appreciate you looking into it for me!

i'll update my itunes & see what that does. Thanks again!

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also when i try to charge it using a wall charger...it shows the great screen with the Apple logo. It then shuts off about every 25 seconds. I can hear the hard drive trying to read the entire time it is on the grey screen.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so i thought i figured it out...this is what i did...

I formatted it using disk utility & i used the MS-DOS format instead of the Mac OS Extended. It then began to sync it the only problem is that it was just using it as a hard drive. so i tried to restore and once it restores & restarts itself it just stays on a dimmed great Apple logo screen.

final edit:
i finally restored it and it synced my songs. one problem that i fixed was that it wasnt charged. so you have to use a wall charger to get it to work. so it now turns on & functions! hope this helps out others!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.0Ghz/320gb/4gb Ram/Black Keyboard-Case Cover --- New iMac 20" 2.4Ghz/250gb-3tb/4gb Ram
I to am having this problem with the same type of ipod [ipod classic 80gb]

I tried to restore it on disk utility and it comes up with as ipod is not mounted.
Tried to restore it on a PC and windows says it's unable to format.
I've let it die and recharged off wall power and still having the same problem. I can get into disk mode and it shows up but yet i can't restore it. Not sure what else to do? It's not under warranty either.

Edit;
I tried to restore it on a PC and it finally restored. But as soon as it did it went right back to the continuous reboot..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.