Mail Problem for you

J

Jordan

Ahoj,

I have been running into problems with the Mac mail programme as of late. I had it working just find up until now. When it tried to retrieve my mail I get
"Connection Failed
There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Check the settings for account “Gmail” or try again.

The server error encountered was: The connection to the server “pop.gmail.com” on port 995 timed out."

What's up with this? How do I fix this?

I recently installed "Aquisition', 'iSwipe' and 'Skype'. I have no problem ditching the P2P stuff as I hardly use them. Is it possible that they are interfering with Mail? I really don't know - I just want my mail!

Any ideas?

Jordan

OP
D

Desolate One

At times I have problems sending mail (also using Gmail through Mail). I get a similar error and asks me to try sending again later. Usually the problem clears up within 5 minutes or so. Sometimes I have to quit Mail and re start it.

Is this an intermitten problem as I've experienced? If not how long has this prohibited you from accessing your Gmail?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a feeling Desolate One is right. I have seen the servers at Gmail get very congested and do that very thing both on the Web and using an Email client. If it keeps doing it and never sends your mail, then some setting might have been reset in Mail. If I wait it always works for me.

OP
J

Jordan

howdy,

Yeah, I have had the temporary problems as well and it seemed that if you just tried sending again the email would go through. However, now I cannot send or receive email from either my gmail or .Mac account (trial). I called Apple support but they would not not give me support unless I had a full-membership Mac account - which I don't. Can't tell you how pissed I was about that. What, are they the only game in town? Everything seems like such a money grab.

Anyhow, I don't know what I have to do to get this working properly and I don't know where to turn for assistance. Hmmmm,

If you have any ideas, I'm all ears.

Jordan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Is there a little lightning bolt icon next to your inbox?

Sometimes when my Gmail account can't connect, it becomes manually taken offline for some reason (maybe I hit cancel or something).

When I click the lightning bolt, it tries to reconnect...

Can you log into your Gmail account through the web?

OP
J

Jordan

Aptmunich said:
Is there a little lightning bolt icon next to your inbox?

Sometimes when my Gmail account can't connect, it becomes manually taken offline for some reason (maybe I hit cancel or something).

When I click the lightning bolt, it tries to reconnect...

Can you log into your Gmail account through the web?

I get the warning symbol next to the accout (I think it is a triangle in my case). I tried clicking it to bring the account back on line but I just end up with a 'Connection Failed' error and then something about Port 995 etc.

The strange thing is that no, I can't access any of my mail accounts through the web - but this problem only only happens on my iBook. My work computer acesses all my accouts just fine. I am really perplexed.

Jordan

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What OS is on the Ibook? Panther or Jaguar? Jaguar will not work with Gmail as the older Safari that it uses will not connect properly to google mail. Panther works great here with Safari, Firefox, Camino on Gmail, Yahoo Mail, even AOL mail!

What is your home internet? Dialup? Cable? DSL? If cable or DSL is there a router? Firewall?

OP
J

Jordan

dtravis7 said:
What OS is on the Ibook? Panther or Jaguar? Jaguar will not work with Gmail as the older Safari that it uses will not connect properly to google mail. Panther works great here with Safari, Firefox, Camino on Gmail, Yahoo Mail, even AOL mail!

What is your home internet? Dialup? Cable? DSL? If cable or DSL is there a router? Firewall?

I'm running Panther 10.3.8 currently. I tried both Safari and Firefox to get my mail from the web but with no luck. I can successfully ping the gmail server using network utility (is that what it's called???) but can't connect otherwise.

I am in Germany using a DSL connection. One router serves the apartment block with wireless connection. I don't know what type of router it is but we are encrypted. I don't think anything has changed regarding the router situation - I was able to use mail for all my accouts up until just recently.

Cheers,

Jordan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
Sounds like a firewall issue. Are you running the firewall in OS X? Try turning it off and see if that fixes it. If so, then to run the firewall, you will need to open the appropriate ports.

Jerry

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did the problem start just after the 10.3.8 Update? Some routers cause problems with mail especially. My Netgear does not support multicasting, and with the update all of a sudden problems checking mail, problems with Ichat and with certain sites. Went to a Linksys that supports Multicasting and problems gone. The linksys allows me to toggle Multicasting, Sure enough, turn it off and it acts like the Netgear did. One friend with the same Netgear I have could not get another router so went back to 10.3.7 and he is back to normal.

OP
J

Jordan

Hmmm,

No, I don't have my firewall on.

That's really interesting about the updae-router conflict. I wonder if that could be causing the problem. From what I could find by searching various forums this was something that came up repeatedly. Many others mentioned that the update to 3.8 gwared everything up. That's not cool. how do I go back to running 3.7?

On a slightly different note (rookie question) how do I go about properly uninstalling a programme in OS X?

Many thanks,

Jordan

OP
J

Jordan

I meant to ask in my last post.

How does one open up specific ports through the firewall?

Thanks,

Jordan

OP
J

Jordan

Problem Solved

Really sorry guys for this false alarm.

My landlord finally got back to me (he is the one that controls the router for our apartment block) and said that ooooppppsss, he increased some security settings on the router which closed off some ports that weren't being used - well, at least not by him :)

Anyhow, he opened the ports that I needed opened and all is fine.

Take care,

Jordan

OP
D

Desolate One

Whops! Sorry I didn't follow up sooner. Yes, I was to suggest checking to see if you had that specific port blocked on the OS's firewall or inquire on your router's security settings. Which is sounds like the latter was the case. Glad to hear you're all squared away!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.2 ghz / 30GB 4200 / 1.25 GIG
I'm on PC right now, and I use the gmail notifier, it not be anything wrong with your mail, it's probably gmail, sometimes the server goes down for awhile.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.