• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Trouble opening windows media file on mac

Reaction score
The message says when you try to open "Cannot open the file. Verify that the file and path are correct and try again"

Cheers if you can help

OP
S
Reaction score
Windows Media Player. A wmv file.

Just tried these. I tried 2 files but they just colours of blocks and no sound, maybe corrupt

Reaction score
I just downloaded Media Player for Mac for this very purpose (google it or find it on the microsoft.com download page). If you download it and then nothing happens, its probably because you have downloaded a .sitx file but don't have a Stuffit expander. You can google Stuffit expander and download this, and then the Media Player will install properly.

Reaction score
do you have flip4mac? VLC should play everything and anything you throw at it. Flip4mac allows Quicktime to play windows media files since microsoft stopped doing so. They are both free. try them and if the problem persist then I believe your files may be corrupted.

OP
S
Reaction score
Once flip4mac is installed are you supposed to drag the video file into flip4mac?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, you do not need to drag the file. It should just auto open in QuickTime the same as other file types open in their respective apps.

If it's not opening, my guess would be either the file is corrupt or it is a DRM'd file. There is nothing on the Mac that will play wmv files that have had digital rights added to them that I'm aware of. (Except those designed to work with Silverlight.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
If you're running OS X don't bother downloading Media Player. That is old crusty software that Microsoft has abandoned. Get Flip4Mac instead.

Another collection of codecs you can download is Perian.

Also keep in mind that you cannot play DRM windows files on a Mac. You can blame Microsoft for that too.

Reaction score
Hey I'm new to the forums and new to the whole Mac system. I got my Macbook Pro a week ago, and I've been able to use it pretty good except for the same .wmv opening issue as the first poster. I tried downloading flip4mac, and it comes up with a pop-up that says "please insert [username] disk to continue"

I'm wondering what CD they're referring to? I have all the CDs that came with my Macbook, and they're "13 inch Macbook Pro Mac OS X Install DVD, 13-inch Macbook Pro Applications Install DVD, iWork Install DVD"

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) Sorry for bringing up an old thread!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
macgoalie, I've never seen that. Perhaps your .wmv file has DRM which cannot be played on Macs. He//, the message doesn't even make sense.

Reaction score
me too

Hi, my first post so I hope that I am in the right thread. I am having the same problem.

Yesterday my boyfriend wanted to watch a live soccer game and purchased it from jumptv. Then with a friend over to watch nothing happened, grey square.

I downloaded flip4mac and perian and nothing.
I tried in safari and in firefox, no luck.

I downloaded windows media player for mac and then downloaded stuffit. now when I click on the download it goes into stuffit and the little window starts to show the processing bar and it just disappears.

So here are my questions:

1. what am I supposed to do to complete the download?

2. Does having a mac mean that we can never watch a live game on the internet? (my boyfriend finds mac very complicated and this has just convinced him that we wasted our money)

thanks in advance!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The couple of vid's I watched at jumpTV use Flash Player. Need to install that.

Don't install Windows Media Player - hasn't been updated in 6 years for the Mac. Flip4Mac is all you need for wmv up to Leopard. They're working on update for Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RE: JumpTV

Right from their FAQ;

5.3. How do I watch JumpTV using Mac OSX?
JumpTV streams in Windows Media Format and does not support Macintosh, but we do have Mac OS X users who use Flip4macTM software to watch our streams and this works for all streams except our Sony Entertainment Television (SET) streams from India. If you are a Mac OS X user and would like to subscribe to JumpTV, please go:
See **Disclaimer NOTE below.
to:Windows Media® Components for QuickTime and download the latest version of Flip4mac. Although we don't actively support this software, this will allow you to view most of our streams. If you are on Mac and you purchase a subscription but can not get this software to work, our support team will be happy to refund your purchase if you reference this FAQ.
**Disclaimer NOTE: We provide this information as a courtesy and cannot accept responsibility for any content/downloads on linked websites or be liable for any changes made on your computer/network etc in order to view or attempt to view the JumpTV online streams.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.