12" or 15"?

C

cal4ever

I'm about to enter law school (next year), I figured that I should take advantage of my current university's student computer loan. Currently, I am a windows user, but from using a an OSX at work, I think it's about time that I switch to a Mac. Well, that's the easy part. Now, I can't decide on a 12'' or a 15''. I have read extensively on both, however, all the reviews out right now are based on the very slightly older 12'' and 15'' models. (I'm not surprised since the new powerbooks just came out!) :)

Anyway, here is what I plan on using my powerbook for:
MS Office (especially word and powerpoint)
Photoshop
Web surfing
burning CDs and DVDs
internet
looking at pdf files (journal articles, legal briefs...etc...)

I'm leaning towards the 12'', but I've heard (and read) that it gets really hot. Also, I've read that the screen is quite lousy compared to the other powerbooks. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
well all those will run fine on either the 12" or 15" but a major question is is will you being doing multiple tasks at once which is where the 15" is at a major advantage. I have not heard of the 12" screen being lousy compared to any others and after using the 12" for a few hours i dont think that there is any difference. portability wise the 12" is much easier then the 15" but the 15" still is not bad but I guess the major quesion is do you need to be able to see more at once

OP
S

StealthMode

I have the 15 in, and I like it alot. It isn't too bad at all for portability, and it's great for watchen DVD's on, 15in widescreen :D The 15 in is faster, which is always nice. You will not be disapointed with the 15 in at all, IMO that is. :)

Stealth -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I like the 12'' its small easy to carry around, and still fast, cheaper. I don't think you could be disappointed by any mac you buy.. though if it were me i would get the smaller books, easier to take with you everywhere. Slip it inbetween two books and walk to class :D (which is why I want an ibook 12'')

OP
C

cal4ever

thanks for the replies

Sorry for the late response, I had trouble logging on last night.

I do a lot of multi-tasking, but none that require me to have more than 2 or so windows opened at once. However, I do use photoshop. I don't use it a lot, but I am starting to tinker with the program more and more. I eventually want to learn idvd and final cut pro--but that's EVENTUALLY. As for now, I usually use my laptop for MS Office, surfing the internet and doing research.

I guess this is the next question: Should I buy one now or wait until February? I'll be taking a student computer loan from my university. To qualify for the loan, I need to purchase the computer before March of next year. I want to purchase the 12'' inch (or 15'' inch) now, but I don't want to buy the 12'' (or 15'' :-D ) now and have Apple come out with a faster machine in January or February. Since I'll be keeping this laptop for the next few years, I want one that'll last a looong time (in other words, I don't want to buy a laptop that'll be outdated in 3 months).

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Get the 12" - it will give you an enormous advantage portability-wise. As for whether to buy now or in a few months, I think you're best to buy now. If any updates are released between now and next February, they will probably be very minor, maybe only a small price drop. Don't worry too much about it becoming outdated; macs hold their resale value and my 5-year old 333mhz lime iMac is still very much usable with ms office and the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
and they just did updates the other day at the macexpo in paris so you shouldnt worry about them being outdated

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you plan to use Final Cut pro, i would get the 15in powerbook, due to the larger screen size.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.