Audio from iMac to TV

Reaction score
I have my iMac hooked up and working with my Samsung LCD HDTV. But now the Audio won't work. I have an HD audio cable with a audio jack converter tip. The TV has an HD Audio input but I can't seem to get the sound from my iMac to my TV. If im spewing complete nonsense please tell me and i will try to be more specific or use the right terminology.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Technically, there is no cable called "HD audio cable". Am guessing you're using an optical cable, also referred to as TosLink or S/PDIF.

Type of cable for sure would help, along with the specific model of your Samsung. Also, what type of cable are you using for the video and which port is it connected to on the TV?

(If you have an A/V receiver by that TV, just run the sound direct to the receiver and forget the TV.)

OP
L
Reaction score
yeha, its an optical audio cable called a Toslink. I do not have an A/V receiver so I'm out of luck on that route. I have no clue how I'm gonna make this one work. I won't be able to post Samsung specs or any pics till tonight so I'm going to have to wait. thanks again

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First thing to check when you get home - make sure the audio is plugged into the same input source as the video.

e.g. If your video cable is plugged into the Video 1 input, the audio should also be plugged into the audio port associated with Video 1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.