how to burn a windows bootable disk on a Mac

Reaction score
Arrghh - i need help please. I've been looking all over the place for advice on what seems to be a simple question but i cant find it anywhere.

I have a windows laptop running xp - it constantly blue screens on startup suggesting there is something wrong with the mbr.

I need to boot windows with a bootable disk that has ntfsinst.exe on it.

As my happy and friendly reliable macbook is working i thought it would be a simple case of creating a bootable disk containing ntfsinst.exe.

Unfortunately i cant find a mac app that will let me create a bootable disk. Can anyone suggest a free bit of sw that will allow me to do this one task please.

Many thanks

Soop

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
According to my understanding, ntfsinst.exe is not what you want on the bootdisk.

ntfsinst.exe is a Windows application that creates a boot disk with NTFS4DOS on it which allows you to boot into DOS and be able to read and write to NTFS drives.

You will need Windows to run the .exe to create the boot disk.

edit:
You can try this site - link - he has a downloadable CD ISO that you can burn straight to disk.

Reaction score
Bootable disks

First what you need to do is take the disk contents and create an iso, then insert your blank media into the drive and when it asks you what action you want to take select open disk utility(do not open disk utility before inserting the disk or this will not work), navigate to the iso on the left white pane of the window in disk utility and burn it to the disk, this is the only way I know of to create a bootable disk, this is the process I used to create my BackTrack live dvd's, good luck, or you could always buy the windows install disk for the type of computer you have for like 10$ online

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.