iBook Freezing up

J

Jordan

Hi there,

Thought I would throw this out ...

I have managed to lock up my iBook about a half-dozen times in the last week or two. Well, I shouldn't say that it is frozen as I can still get the computer to respond, but the trackpad won't move the mouse pointer at all.

What's up with this?

I end up having to restart the comptuer to get the mouse working normal again (reminds me of my Dell back home).

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts,

Jordan

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I would close out of anything programs running in the background, such as in the menu bar. Or if you have Konfabulator running, you might want to shut that down. See if you get any freezes after that. I had so many problems with Konfabulator on my iBook, and the day I got rid of Konfabulator, all the freezes stopped. But Konfabulator runs fine on my iMac G5.

OP
J

Jordan

iWhat said:
I would close out of anything programs running in the background, such as in the menu bar. Or if you have Konfabulator running, you might want to shut that down. See if you get any freezes after that. I had so many problems with Konfabulator on my iBook, and the day I got rid of Konfabulator, all the freezes stopped. But Konfabulator runs fine on my iMac G5.

Hmm, nope, no Konfabulator on my iBook. I have tried closing down everything that was running when the mouse pointer freezes but that doesn't do anything sadly.

Any other ideas?

Jordan

Reaction score
Have you ran the Maintenance scripts at late and repaired permissions ?

Have you installed any new software at late ?

Try Setting up a different user account, log into it and see if the problems are still happening.

OP
I

iDVFH.

This only happened to me once but..

I left my iBook on on my desk and fell asleep..the next morning I went back to it and seen that it hadn't gone to sleep. I touched my mouse and it went on..except for when i went to type in my password and press enter, nothing would happen? At first I thought great! I can still have an internet connection and leave it on all day..but then I realized it was frozen someway..the only way to fix it was to hold in the power button..and i hate doing that on any computer or laptop (especially mine lol)

Reaction score
What are you doing while it locks up? What programs are running?

OP
J

Jordan

I have repaired permissions regulary over the last couple of weeks and ran my crons scripts with MacJanitor last weekend but the problem still occurs here and there.

I did download iSwipe and Aquisition (don't hate me) as of late as well as Skype. I just removed aquisition and will likely get rid of iSwipe. I'm not sure if it is related to having these programmes on my iBook but I am having huge problems with my Mac Mail programme now also (look under the switcher thread and you will see it 'Mail problem for you').

Programmes I have running when it happens: iTunes, Mail, Safari, sometimes word, maybe one or two other programmes that escape my memory.

I swear, I won't change a thing once I get the iBook going smoothly again.

Cheers,

Jordan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.