New Portfolio Site, Looking for Constructive Critisism

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 2GB
Hey guys,

I'm working on a new portfolio for my current employee, and chose to code it all in CSS rather than DotNetNuke, even though my boss was leaning toward that. The site is getting close to being done, just need to throw in some copy related to each piece of work, change the main image on a couple pages (the pencil one is repeated) and add the New Media page, the link isn't broken don't worry.

Anyways, I'd love to hear what some of you fellow web designers think - give me your opinion on usability, overal visual appeal, and what ever else you deem appropriate.

Shepherd Creative | London, Ontario

Thanks,

Carson

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I like the color scheme somewhat. My only gripe is that there is too much stark white for me. That's just me though. I would fill that with a texture or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The white space is very effective.

When you're using a site to showcase your work, the rest of the page should be as unobtrusive as possible.
Adding a texture to it would make the background way too busy and would distract your eyes from the projects being presented.

Of course, the "white" space doesn't necessarily need to be white. Any solid color would do, so long as it keeps with the color scheme of the rest of the page.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The white space is very effective.

When you're using a site to showcase your work, the rest of the page should be as unobtrusive as possible.
Adding a texture to it would make the background way too busy and would distract your eyes from the projects being presented.

Of course, the "white" space doesn't necessarily need to be white. Any solid color would do, so long as it keeps with the color scheme of the rest of the page.

I suggested a texture because it gets kind of hard to distinguish the white from the work and the white of the background of the page. It can be a very simple texture that is very toned down.

Reaction score
I just read this week that 'White" space is hot. Different colors on the link hover
in the header would be cool.

Reaction score
Looks clean and simple. Orange attracts and so it would work better if the ordinary stuff is depicted in blue and the exception (the key point) in orange. But then, I am not sure it will work with Gold fish. A different metaphor might work as well.

Web design is about getting a prospect to exactly what he or she is after within a minimum number of steps. It is three seconds to click off ! I prefer using the front page to show what the client / customer will get.

Next issue is that people are mainly sight / visual oriented. That means a picture should be able top express without words. Words would explain that further. I have tried to incorporate many helpful hints on web-design at my website done. It was done with iWeb. There is minimal use of color and no moving artifacts. My strength is in user friendly design and not writing codes etc. Check and see if you have any information you could use.
Comments welcome. Thanks

http://web.mac.com/dasm1/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.