VMWare Fusion question...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3.06 GHz, 4GB Ram, 1 TB HD, OS X 1.6.3
I've had my brand new iMac for 3 days now and I seem to be adapting well. I remember a large post I read about some guy who was very happy with his many Apple purchases until he bought his iMac because he couldn't get used to the mouse movement... He returned it because of the mouse. Crazy. It was a little weird at first, but now, it's using the Windows mouse that feels weird - too fast, not precise...

I'm getting off topic.

I have VMWare Fusion set up to run my BootCamp partition. Problem is, that every time I access it as a VM, Windows XP tells me it needs to be activated. It IS activated and running normally when I run it through the Boot Manager. It seems to be a problem only when I access it through Fusion. I have tried to follow the activation prompts, and it seems to work, but still tells me the next time I boot up through Fusion that it needs to be activated... Very strange?

Thank you.

Sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
you will probably have better luck asking this over here at the Fusion community site.

ooh and i never had any problems with my mouse on my iMac not sure what the problem is. you might want to see if your non-apple mouse has some mac software available for it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I have read many accounts of people using Fusion with their BC partition and experiencing problems (frequently much worse than yours). As such, I would recommend against doing this before things get worse.

As for the mouse, I can't say what's here any better than it's already said. Read the "Optimize Your Mouse" section.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3.06 GHz, 4GB Ram, 1 TB HD, OS X 1.6.3
I can understand how you might have taken my "mouse" comment as a complaint, but I was just mentioning that I WASN'T having problems like the person who's post I read. My mention of not getting used to my "Windows mouse" was about using ANY mouse in Windows being (suprisingly) harder than using ANY in OSX. The mouse curve in OSX was a little difficult to get used to but now that I'm used to it, using a mouse in Windows is the difficult part. I wasn't complaining about a specific mouse. Guess I just worded it incorrectly.

I will direct my Fusion concerns to the Fusion community forum. Thank you for your help.

Sean.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The pointer in Windows can be changed as well. See here for Vista or here for XP.

I'm a little boggled as to how a mouse can be noticeably more difficult to use based on the OS being used. :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
VM Fusion and Boot Camp

Why did you install Fusion through Boot Camp? You don't need to do that. I'm using Fusion with XP on it and it all works fine. I run the VM in a separate 'space' and switching from XP to OXS is fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I echo didumus - why would you run Bootcamp under Fusion. One or the other or you're going to get complications!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
just thought i would chime in with what i do.

i have a few programs that need to be a full Windows OS to run well (mainly some quikpwn stuff) and i installed a very light stripped down version of XP that i installed on a 10GB boot camp just for these few programs and i have a Windows 7 Fusion setup as didymus mentions for everything else.

just thought i would throw it out there as an option if it relates to why you need it that way.

i also run Paragon NTFS (OS X) and McDrive (Windows) so that i can then read and write to everything without a hassle.

good luck

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i also run Paragon NTFS (OS X) and McDrive (Windows) so that i can then read and write to everything without a hassle.
Not that there is anything wrong with this setup but wouldn't it be easier to setup a small FAT partition and use that. This way, you can avoid those programs which I understand may cause complications (Paragon - this is the first I've heard of the other).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i already have those programs for when i run into friends with NTFS externals and i also keep one of my externals NTFS for files over 4GB that i want to share with my windows friends.

i have had zero problems with MacDrive which allows you to read/write to journaled from windows but as you mention i have had a few problems with Paragon NTFS and would never use it for anything that was "important or irreplaceable" although Paragon had an update not too long ago and i do not recall having any issues since that time

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.