2 monitors "fried" by imac

Reaction score
Hello, I've been using a 24" imac with 2.16 intel core 2 duo (3gb ram), OS X 10.4.11. We've always had a second monitor connected using a VGA adaptor. This has been the case for at least a couple of years in the workplace.

A couple of weeks ago, the 17" Creation LCD monitor that is hooked up to the imac suddenly turned blank one day out of the blue. The display just stopped giving signal. When i turned the monitor off and back on again, it flashed on for a split second (showing the application window i was working on at that time) and then went black again. Tried shutting monitor down completely, turning it on, disconnecting/reconnecting, restarting imac - the monitor basically died but while it was connected, the imac still detected 2 displays. Everytime i turn on the monitor the display would turn on for a split second then go black.

Assuming that the monitor has fried, I hooked up a Sony SDM-X73 (again through VGA), and it turned on with no problem and worked fine - for about 2 days, and the same time happened to it. Turned black all of a sudden. Same symptoms (when i switch it on it would show mac screen for split second then go black). i wasn't adjusting anything related to display or video. Just to be sure it's not happening to just this imac, i hooked up the Sony to another imac and a G5, and it was black, although the other computers also detected it as a second display. So it seems that something about the imac fried both of these monitors.

I've tried zapping the PRAM, as suggested on another forum for a similar problem, monitors are still blank. and for obvious reason, i'm afraid of plugging in another monitor because i don't want to kill yet another one (as these are my workplace monitors!!).

Has anyone experienced something similar? I would be eternally grateful if anyone can shed some light on how i can fix/solve this problem.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early '08 MacBook 2.4Ghz 250g hd 4g ram Os 10.6; B&W G3 400mhz 120g hd 512mb ram Os 10.4
Is there any chance it may be the monitor cable? Did you use the same one or a different one each time? That's about all I got for ya.
Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz
it also sounds like it could be the actual port on your iMac itself. try the monitors on another computer to make sure they are really dead.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.