Network setting in a loop?

Reaction score
Just changed router and broadband supplier. They run ok via airport but new setting has to be chosen each time I use mail or Safari. When I try to get to system preferences/network I get a message saying "network settings have been changed by another application" The only option is OK. If you hit this it dissapears and then immediately returns...ad nauseum. The only way to get out of system preferences is with force quit. Everything works, but to reselect the setting everytime is tedious.
Macpro 17inch Tiger10.5

Any thoughts would be gratefully received

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Post needs more clarity - changed to which router - and are the problems using wireless or ethernet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And just noticed that you have Tiger 10.5 - how about Tiger 10.4 or Leopard 10.5

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry OS is 10.4.11

Router is a netgear wireless as supplied by Virgin. This in itself is not a problem, but I do have to select it each time I USE SAFARI OR MAIL.
Before I changed my Broadband to Virgin I was using a combined wirelessrouter modem from Belkin over a bt teleephone line.

Hope this is what you wanted to know

mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok just so we get a clear picture how does your MBP operate when on ethernet only and not wireless. Any issues in that scene?

Reaction score
Solution

Solution

Hi All,

I had this same problem recently and just found a way to fix it so I thought I'd post it in the relevant threads that don't have a resolution yet (thanks to Maddog)

Go to Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and delete the following (suggest make copies to the desktop first if in doubt):

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist
preferences.plist
com.apple.nat.plist

All these files will regenerate as necessary when the associated system features are accessed. If you're using Airport or Internet Sharing you'll have to reestablish the appropriate settings, because these will have been lost when the preferences files are removed. Small price to pay, however for a permanent, and very simple solution to this irritating problem.

Found this too:
Open "System Preferences" and go to "Security".

Tick off "Require password to unlock each secure system preference".

Now click "show all" at the top. I had to quit "System Preferences" to make the change take effect.

Open "System Preferences" again and choose "Network". (You will probably get the annoying pop up once, but this time when you click "OK" it shouldn't loop).

Notice that the padlock in the bottom left corner is now locked. Click it to unlock, and enter your password (assuming you are the administrator).

Now click back on the show all button. The Mac will think you made a change and ask if you want to " Apply configuration changes" click "Apply".

Once it saves the changes your problem should be fixed. You can go back to the "Security" pane and untick the option you enabled earlier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.