Switcher: over 30 Days with a Macbook...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alu Macbook 2.0Ghz 2GB Ram, Viewsonic 20", MX Revolution
Hello everyone, my name is Giovani, I have used Windows always and I got a macbook over 30 days ago, it was a nice and easy switch having a little more than basic computer skills.

I got a mac mainly for the stability and peace of mind oh.. and to not wait more than 10 mins to start using the computer, I went into trouble trying to connect my Viewsonic monitor with DVI, didn't work so I'm using it with VGA, got used to it.

Had lots of frustration these 3 weeks, it went very hot most of the time, checked and it was firefox using a LOT of CPU and RAM always, I just used firefox because of the Sage feeds plugin on my windows pc, so the browser experince could be the same, I tried downloading an optimized version for Intel macs but Sage didn't worked with it...

Now I try Safari, move my bookmarks and bookmark toolbar and notice that the CPU usage has dropped in random high spikes, from going to 100 to 50% most of the time, even when firefox was idle... >o< I know, I shoulda tried Safari when I noticed this problem but I was lazy to use a standalone RSS reader, I'm glad I did some search and found Vienna, it growls the feeds every 5 minutes!!!

The temperature on my mac used to go up to 80 because of firefox, I was feeling that the macbook was a bad investment, not anymore, but for sure I need the 4GB ram...

one of the advantages also is that the mac has kept me away from MMORPGS, time consuming... and now I'm more into jogging and keeping myself fit and relaxed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Also if you monitor it, you will notice some web sites load a bunch of back ground stuff which uses more of the processor time and consequently bumps the temps up - close the window and it all slows down again. If you have tabbed browsing enabled it is more easily observed and controlled.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.