Word 08 won't Uninstall on OSX 10.4.11 - help!

Reaction score
I started noticing my Word 08 program being very slow to open (approx 3-5 minutes) and not operating properly (ie forming grey lines in the background of my document). When Word is open all of my other programs run much slower, especially Safari. Safari too starts to act weird (ie cannot close a second window). Finder is very slow as well. I also hear a ticking sound from inside my computer when all of this is running slow.

I decided to uninstall my Microsoft Office 08 package and moved the entire folder to the trash. I thought I could reinstall it. Everything was deleted, but the Word file says it cannot be deleted because "resource" is still in use. However, I don't have any other programs or documents open or running.

I guess my question is two-fold. How do delete Word?

Second, will that solve my problem or will I need to do something else?

Thanks in advance for any help. I really appreciate it!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Office comes with an uninstaller. Check the folder /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Additional Tools/Remove Office. Now, since you have deleted the folder, can you retrieve it from a backup?

If it says a resource is in use, a file is still in memory or being used by an application. Have you tried restarting?

What kind of ticking sound do you hear? A ticking sound is frequently a sign of a dying HD if the ticking is coming from the HD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.