Comcast and Airport Extreme for wireless Internet

Reaction score
So I just moved from an area where I was using CableOne Internet for over 4 years with NO issues with an Airport Extreme for wireless networking with my MBP.

I've just moved to an area with Comcast. I've heard mixed answers from their reps on whether or not I can use my Airport Extreme for my wireless Internet without an intermittent connectivity issues. One rep said if I use my Airport Extreme, but I will have connection dropouts. He told me I'd have to purchase the $150 Home Networking package with their N class router.

Another rep said I won't have this issue if I get my Airport Extreme router configured with Apple.

Does anybody have an insight for me?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm sure Comcast would "love" to sell you their $150 home networking package. :Angry-Tongue:

Try setting up the AE first before deciding what to do. If it turns out your AE doesn't work the way it did before, you can always purchase another wireless router. (And it doesn't have to be one from Comcast.)

Regards.

Reaction score
I have comcast internet and i have the new airport extreme and everything in my house is set up on wireless and its flawless with no issues. I even have my external hdd and printer hooked up through the usb on the ae so i can access both on my home network regardless what im using at the time.

I have it hooked up as you normally would.....cable from wall to comcast modem then from there regular modem ethernet to my ae and all is sweet.

Reaction score
I'm having issues with this too. My setup is exactly the same as described above: wall cable > modem > ethernet > airport, and my light just blinks amber. But if I go wall cable > modem > ethernet > mac, I have internet just fine. I never created a comcast.net username/password. Could this have something to do with it? Am I missing an aiprort setting somewhere? Are the comcast/airport extreme not compatible? Should I just get a different wireless router and bag the airport extreme? Thanks for all your help :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Great... I'm getting Comcast Cable internet this weekend since I moved to an area with slow DSL. I'm going to be bummed if my Airport tanks on Comcast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Don't use Comcast. I just don't recommend it. Here's why:

Comcast provides cable internet. This means the company has to physically come to your house and string cables for internet. Costly and un-needed.

A company like AT&T provides DSL through your phone line. No extra stringing of wires involved.

Yes, it has nothing to do with Airport Extreme. Just a general tip about internet service:)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't use Comcast. I just don't recommend it. Here's why:

Comcast provides cable internet. This means the company has to physically come to your house and string cables for internet. Costly and un-needed.

A company like AT&T provides DSL through your phone line. No extra stringing of wires involved.

Yes, it has nothing to do with Airport Extreme. Just a general tip about internet service:)

Can't make this kind of generalization.

When I switched from DSL it was sitting at 1 Mb/sec download and cable at 7 Mb/sec download for the same money. My cable went up to 10Mb a yr and 1/2 ago without a price increase.

Another line run to the house, tied right to another already running to it for 10x the bandwidth? - I say bring it on baby!!

And for anyone using Comcast for their TV service or the house was previously wired for cable TV, there is no extra cabling to be run. It's sitting there already just waiting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.