.log file that won't disappear

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.
I have a .log file that appeared on my desktop some time ago. Even when I delete it and empty the trash, it seems to be gone, but regenerates when I reboot. How can I get rid of this file for good?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I believe that is a hidden system file that shouldn't be showing.. Somehow you have turned on "Show Hidden Files" in finder.. To turn off if you don't know how or want to take a chance using Terminal try TinkerTool
TinkerTool: Description
and under the Finder tab you will be able to turn off Hidden Files, then click the Relaunch Finder button in TinkerTool.

OP
riverteeth
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.
I tried using TinkerTool and the terminal command "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool false" (got from this forum some time ago), both to no avail.

So not a hidden system file.

But thanks a lot for the tip on TinkerTool... looks like a great little app!

Reaction score
I found this that may give you a clue as to what it is.
In Mac OS X, there are three different ways a file or directory can be made invisible in the finder: it can have the "invisible" attribute set (as in older Mac OS systems), its name can start with "." (as in other unix systems), or its name can be listed in the /.hidden file. Many of the files and directories listed above are actually invisible for multiple reasons (e.g. /bin is listed in /.hidden, as well as having its invisible attribute set).
Note that OS X only respects the .hidden file on its boot volume, so if you boot from another disk, several normally-hidden files will suddenly be visible. Also, since Mac OS 9 (and older versions) only recognize the invisible flag, even more of these files (mainly /.vol, /mach, /mach.sym, and sometimes .DS_Store) will be visible when you boot into Mac OS 9.

Mac OS X Hidden Files & Directories

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.