Mac Server

Reaction score
About a year ago, our company shelled out the big bucks and got a fancy Mac server that we store all our graphics files on. (We still have a PC for the boring accounting stuff). I'm trying to figure out how to write a work flow program for us to use internally, and access through a browser (firefox). Can I use our Mac server to host this, or should I use a third party web host? I think I read somewhere that the Mac server came with Apache installed--does that mean we can use it as a web hosting server? Or is that a bad idea since we use it for internal docs as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Yes Apache comes pre installed

To activate it go to the sharing preference pane an enable web sharing, that's it

The pane will show you the address of the server

WEb pages should be stored in the Sites folder in the home folder

OP
P
Reaction score
Very helpful, thanks. Would I run into any major problems (like speed issues?) hosting a web app from our existing server? I've built multiple websites over the years, but never used my own hardware to host them--is it the same as using a hosting service?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
depends how many users will use it at once, but it shouldn't significantly load the server

If it becomes an issue, then any old mac you have lying sround, or even a Linux box can take over the task, all versions of MAC OS X come with Apache, even the desktop macs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.