Terminal Question - opening text editor in its own window

Reaction score
Hi,

When I open a text files with 'emacs' editor (or any other text editor) in the terminal, then emacs opens up in the terminal window.

How do I get emacs (or any other editor) to open in its own windows?

When I connect to a server (ssh -X <server>), then text editors will get their own windows (from the -X option). But where is the -X options when you open the terminal?

I hope my question makes sense,

Any ideas are appreciated.

Phil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody (Jan 09)
Command+T opens a new tab. I guess the best you could do is have multiple sessions if you want to multitask.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You could use Aquamacs (a native GUI port of emacs) which can be invoked from the command line. (EmacsWiki: Aquamacs FAQ)

For that matter, TextWrangler, BBEdit, TextMate, and Smultron all have Terminal commands as well. And there's always the generic "open" command.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody (Jan 09)
You could use Aquamacs (a native GUI port of emacs) which can be invoked from the command line. (EmacsWiki: Aquamacs FAQ)

For that matter, TextWrangler, BBEdit, TextMate, and Smultron all have Terminal commands as well. And there's always the generic "open" command.

MacVim is my favorite text editor for OS X.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the help.

I installed Aquamacs and it works fine from the terminal. I might take a look at MacVim, but since I am used to Emacs, maybe I'll stick with Aquamacs.

Thanks for both of your help,

really appreciated.

Phil

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.