Can't get into OS X after botched Windows install via Boot Camp

Reaction score
I'll preface this by stating I'm relatively new with Mac and that's definitely why I'm in these forums.

Ok, so I read all the stickies about partitioning your system with boot camp and printed out the information as well.

I partitioned the drive for 32 GB as I'm running an iMac with 3.06 ghz and 4GB ram with 1TB HD.

Everything went well, until I started to install my OEM version of Microsoft XP Pro with SP2. The installation took hours and it would get hung up on files stating that those files could not be found as part of the setup. I had a choice to continue to find it or to by-pass it. Well, I spent the better half of the evening continuing on which seemed to work well, and then when it hit the .dll files it wouldn't work. I knew at this point that if I by-passed and continued on with the installation corruption would occur, so I decided to abort the install..
(my dumbest move ever)
So, I aborted and thought I'd just eject the cd, which doesn't eject at all. Then I thought that if I deleted the partition I created everything would be fine and I could go back to my OSX environment. I couldn't be so wrong in so many ways.
Anyone know how I can get around this huge issue and get my OS back and remove that lousy XP install CD (which I will promptly toss).

Thanks,
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
When booting your computer, hold down the OPTION key... you will get a list of devices to boot from. Choose the disk and partition OS X is on.

OP
B
Reaction score
OMG, that was insanely easy and I searched for hours as to what to do on the net. Thanks so much!

Although one question does linger. I was able to install WinXP Pro without any issue solely using VMware. I had wanted to use bootcamp partition and then to run VMware on top of that.

So, why when installing XP Pro using on boot camp did I get so many errors and it took so long? I realize that vmware is just a virtual machine and nothing else. My understanding is that bootcamp is good for the simple fact that you can run the Mac hardware more efficiently.

Anyone have a clue about all that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
You can't use an OEM version of Windows. You must use a retail version. That is your problem.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Although one question does linger. I was able to install WinXP Pro without any issue solely using VMware. I had wanted to use bootcamp partition and then to run VMware on top of that.
If you're referring to using your BC partition inside of vmware, I suggest you don't. I have heard of quite a bit of corruption on the BC partition through this method.

Reaction score
quick correction - you can only use an "OEM System Builder's" version of XP, not any branded OEM disk, or even corporate volume-licensed disks (most of which don't work but some do). Or a full retail version. OEM System Builder discs for XP Home can be had on newegg.com for about $70.

I installed VM Fusion on top of my BC install and had no problems once the guest tools were installed. But ultimately I went with just Fusion as that sufficed for my needs.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 iMac 24" 2.66 GHz
You can't use an OEM version of Windows. You must use a retail version. That is your problem.

Can I get some verification on this? The 'Boot Camp Installation & Setup Guide' just indicates a full-install Windows (XP Home or XP Pro; SP2) installation disk. It says DO NOT use an upgrade version or an earlier (SP1) version but does not mention OEM.

Why will an OEM full edition that has not been activated, has the COA, and a product key not work?

This weekend, I'm planning on using an OEM full edition, never used/registered version of XP Pro, 32-bit disk with boot camp (partitioning my '09 iMac/2.66GHz @ 32GB formated as a FAT volume.)

Now I'm scared!

Any information would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Can I get some verification on this? The 'Boot Camp Installation & Setup Guide' just indicates a full-install Windows (XP Home or XP Pro; SP2) installation disk. It says DO NOT use an upgrade version or an earlier (SP1) version but does not mention OEM.

Why will an OEM full edition that has not been activated, has the COA, and a product key not work?

This weekend, I'm planning on using an OEM full edition, never used/registered version of XP Pro, 32-bit disk with boot camp (partitioning my '09 iMac/2.66GHz @ 32GB formated as a FAT volume.)

Now I'm scared!

Any information would be appreciated.

Read this for clarification.

Reaction score
That link's discussion is not as clear as this: Either purchase an "OEM System Builder's Edition" of XP SP2 or SP3, or purchase a full retail version. Do not use any type of OEM, corporate or similar version of XP other than "OEM System Builder's" (it will say what it is) or full retail. Period, end of story. Those will work. The others will not (or most likely not, which is effectively the same thing).

When people use the term "OEM," it applies to a lot of different kinds of disks including branded XP disks that come with your PC (e.g., Dell, HP, etc.). You cannot use those. Only OEM System Builder versions.

Did I mention OEM System Builder's enough? :)

Good luck!

PS: What is the difference, you may ask, between OEMSB disks and full retail versions of XP? Nothing software - they are exactly the same. The difference is in the licensing - OEM System Builder versions can only be installed on a single hardware computer. Full retail version licensing allows them to be installed on multiple computers (only one at a time, however). That's the reason for the price and packaging difference - OEMSB versions are meant to be installed by someone building a system and selling or delivering it to someone else. But it is legal for you to buy and use one so long as you comply with the EULA.

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have an another simple question about this topic. I installed windows with boot camp. While I turn on my computer if I don't hold down 'option' key, windows opens. However, my friend does the same thing and his coputer opens mac. I have to hold down 'option' and choose mac.

Thank you whom answers :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hi guys!

I have an another simple question about this topic. I installed windows with boot camp. While I turn on my computer if I don't hold down 'option' key, windows opens. However, my friend does the same thing and his coputer opens mac. I have to hold down 'option' and choose mac.

Thank you whom answers :D

When you hold down Option and select OSX, when it gets to the desktop, open System Preferences then click on StartUp Disk. Select OSX whatever and reboot. It will then always start in OSX unless you hold Option and select Windows.

Is that what you want? If so that will do it for you.

Reaction score
You can also select the startup disk default in Windows under System Preferences.

Cheers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You can also select the startup disk default in Windows under System Preferences.

Cheers

Reason I always suggest the OSX side for the change is some people do not install the drivers off the OSX DVD on the XP side and then that option would not be in the Windows Control Panel.

To the OP, good going! Glad it's working for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.