Some Sites Not Working

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to start this thread. Please move it to the right place if you wish.

My laptop isn't letting my access some pages...

-------------------------------
Yesterday, I made a new account on MySpace.com. Everything seemed to be working ok. But as I was browsing through MySpace, I noticed that some sites do not work. For example, editing my playlist leads to a "Safari can't find the server" page. Also, most music players on the pages do not work as well.

Today, my laptop (previous version MBP 15") didn't even allow me to go onto MySpace.com. It ends up on a "Safari can't find the server" page. I tried going to individuals' MySpace pages, and they didn't work either.

I use Twitter as well... everything was working ok yesterday (aside from the fact that I can't change my background). But today, opening Twitter takes forever, then directs me to another "Safari can't find the server" page.
-------------------------------

I have done the following:
Restart my router.
Tried accessing MySpace.com on another computer (didn't work).
Repaired permission.
Deleted com.apple.safari.plist (or something like that).

None of those worked. Other browsers are facing the same problem.

However, TweetDeck (a program I use to check my Twitter) worked.
And I tried accessing MySpace.com through my iPod (connected to same wireless connection), and everything worked fine.

Are there any settings on my computer that I could change so that MySpace.com and Twitter.com works?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If you add the DNS numbers for your ISP it could well help - see here and that is for Leopard on Airport if you are on Tiger the selection is a little different but you need to add numbers for ethernet or airport depending on what u use.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,
I searched for the DNS numbers of my ISP, added all 3 of them, but nothing changed. In fact, my internet itself stopped working. I deleted the numbers and all is fine now.

However, MySpace.com still doesn't work.

This is getting annoying... Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
All 3 of them? i wonder if we are on the same page here. The first group of 4 numbers should be ghosted and is the IP address of your modem/router dont touch that, put the insertion cursor after it hit return type in the Primary address return then the Secondary address. What is your OS and are u on DSL ADSL or Cable. Pic is for Leopard and addresses are added with + selection below left pane

Click for full size -

OP
J
Reaction score
So I need to look for my ISP's primary and secondary address?
My OS is version 10.5.7. I'm using wireless at home. Probably ADSL.

Also, on the right (Search Domains) it says "local.lan". Do I keep that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Any filtering software installed?

OP
J
Reaction score
Nope. No filtering software.
I read that "Peer Guardian" might be causing this. But nope, I don't have anything that might block the site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
It could be possible is PG is running. It could be blocking a range that myspace uses.

OP
J
Reaction score
I don't have Peer Guardian installed.

You know what, it's working now.
But it returned to the problem I had yesterday night.
On some pages the music player says it doesn't work (I already have the newest flash installed). And some pages lead to 'Safari can't find the server'...

This is massively annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.66ghz + many, many more :^)
Sounds like a possible DNS server issue. I'd try changing the name servers you use for surfing. If you go to System Preferences > Network and click on the configuration you are using (Probably called "Airport", or 'Ethernet" depending on how you are connected). Change the DNS server to:

4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2

Then hit "apply" and see if you have the same problem. These numbers are for publicly accessible DNS servers that are useful for testing. If you no longer have a problem your ISP's Name servers are goofy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.