ichat insufficient bandwidth

Reaction score
i am trying to do ichat with my friend who is on her macbook. we usually always do ichat and it works perfectly (i'm on a windows computer and she's on a macbook) how can i fix this? it's driving me insane because it usually works but the last couple of days it's been saying 'ichat insufficient bandwidth'. now, she just tried doing video with another friend of ours who has a macbook, also, and it worked perfectly.. so is it my computer? if so how the heck can i fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
More info needed here - you say iChat - on windows? or is it Skype. Bandwidth can be a function of someones connection - yours or hers - internet supply. Also if it is just iChat the ports used during the 3 way handshake and resulting attempt to connect can be an issue. So DSL or Adsl or Cable become a factor in hunting down the problem and are both participants at home or hooking up thru a LAN. If u are doing a cross platform chat use Skype on both as it will find more open ports more easily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If u continue having problems setting up a video chat, try just audio as it uses far less bandwidth and will help with troubleshooting your issue. iChat on the Mac uses the same 3 way handshake to initiate the audio chat so if it really is an internet issue then audio should be easily established.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.