iMac not recognizing both memory cards

Reaction score
I tried upgrading the memory in my Intel iMac with a Kingston 4GB memory kit (the ones they sell at every BestBuy in the country).

The original 1GB card works fine. It will work in conjunction with either of the two cards for a total of 3GB, so I know the cards aren't damaged. The two cards, however, will not work together. I have no clue what to do (other than just live with 3GB).

It's an Intel 2.4 GHz Core 2 Due and OS 10.4.11

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Have you tried both 2gb cards in both slots? when u say the 2 GB cards will not work together - what shows in the profiler?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What year\model is your iMac? It may not be able to address 4 GB of memory. I'm thinking your machine is perhaps a late 2006 model? If so, you can install 4 GB of memory, however, only 3 GB will be addressed.

Also, buying memory from Best Buy is not the most economical way. On line sellers like Crucial or OWC have much better prices and they also have complete specs on how much memory and what kind your iMac uses.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Ok so if u put a 1 and a 2 in it will boot but what shows in the Profiler - try it for both the 2 GB units one after the other with the 1GB on board making sure you mark the chips so u can recognise which is which later.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok so if u put a 1 and a 2 in it will boot but what shows in the Profiler - try it for both the 2 GB units one after the other with the 1GB on board making sure you mark the chips so u can recognise which is which later.

I tried that to make sure both cards where ok. The machine boots fine and the profiler shows 3GB. Both cards work with the original card, but won't work together. I exchanged them to make sure it wasn't some kind of crazy fluke and got the same result. I tried switching the cards around in every way possible; they simply will not work together.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I tried that to make sure both cards where ok. The machine boots fine and the profiler shows 3GB. Both cards work with the original card, but won't work together. I exchanged them to make sure it wasn't some kind of crazy fluke and got the same result. I tried switching the cards around in every way possible; they simply will not work together.

You need to give us the exact machine ID and\or model. Your machine is very likely a model that can only accept 3 GB of memory. Putting 2 x 2 GB modules may work, and again may not. According to the Apple specs, it doesn't matter since only 3 GB will be addressed anyway.

Since you swapped the original modules for new ones and still can only put a single 2 GB module in at a time with the 1 GB module it would appear that your machine is limited to 3 GB.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.