Photo management and editing

Reaction score
I have been using iPhoto to manage and make minor edits of my personal photos. I am in the process of taking photos that I will use for sports medicine articles and powerpoint presentations. I don't want to incorporate these into my iPhoto library, but would rather save them in "My Pictures," almost as a "stock photo" library.

My questions:
1. Is it possible to import the photos into iPhoto for minor editing, but save them to the "My Pictures" folder?

2. If not, would it require another program (such as PhotoShop Elements) to do the job?

3. Is there a way to set up the preferences so that it prompts you each time to decide which program to use for importing the photos (i.e.: iPhoto or PhotoShop?).

Thanks guys, still learning the ropes with my relatively new iMac, but loving every minute of it!!!

Reaction score
If you don't want to import from your camera to iPhoto just turn it off in the iPhoto preferences then you can just drag to any folder you want. You could also just a have separate iPhoto library by using either iPhoto Buddy or iPhoto Library Manager and switch between librarys. You can still manage and edit just like you are doing now with the rest of your photos.

iPhoto Buddy Home Page

Fat Cat Software - iPhoto Library Manager

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
You can use Preview to do a surprising amount of editing. This would require just importing the photos using Image Capture and opening with Preview.

What kind of adjustments do you need to make?

OP
S
Reaction score
You can use Preview to do a surprising amount of editing. This would require just importing the photos using Image Capture and opening with Preview.

What kind of adjustments do you need to make?
Thanks guys!

Real minor things, such as resizing, image enhancement. Ideally, I'd like to have the option of choosing which program to import the photos, so that I do not have to change the preferences each time, but that might be too picky!!

How do I get to Image Capture? To be honest, I have not quite been able to figure out the intricacies of Preview...it seems to be a very different approach from that seen on PC's.

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Real minor things, such as resizing, image enhancement. Ideally, I'd like to have the option of choosing which program to import the photos, so that I do not have to change the preferences each time, but that might be too picky!!

How do I get to Image Capture? To be honest, I have not quite been able to figure out the intricacies of Preview...it seems to be a very different approach from that seen on PC's.

You don't need to change Preferences to open your photos in any program you want. I'll give you and idea of my work flow with photos and you can adapt it anyway that fits you. First off i never plug my camera into the Mac, seems Canon wants to always open up it's software and take control. I keep a folder on the desktop call "New Pix" and I take the memory card out of the camera and plug into the card reader and open "Finder", you will see your card in the side bar there. Next I rename all the photos on the memory card before they are imported to the computer. I keep an App called "Name Mangler" on the dock and I drag all the photos from the card to the dock and drop on Name Mangler and give them a new name and let it replace the names on the card. I rename on the card so I can put on another Mac easy. After the photos are renamed on the card I then drag from the card to the New Pix folder on the desktop. From there I drag and drop the folder to iPhoto on the Dock, then delete the ones from the folder, But you could just as easy drag the folder Down to the Dock and drop on "Preview" and they will all show up in Previews side bar where you can select them all at one time and batch resize. I think I would make copies to work on in case I messed up and wanted the original to start over with.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Pomeroy, I will do my best to duplicate your process.

However, another more basic question has come up. I attempted to attach a photo from both iPhoto and the "My Pictures" folder, but instead of attaching it as a file, it put the actual photo in the body of the email. How do you change it to a file attachment instead?

Reaction score
Thanks Pomeroy, I will do my best to duplicate your process.

However, another more basic question has come up. I attempted to attach a photo from both iPhoto and the "My Pictures" folder, but instead of attaching it as a file, it put the actual photo in the body of the email. How do you change it to a file attachment instead?

The only way I know, but there may be other ways, is to Right-click or Control-click on the Photo after in Mail and select View as Icon.
And of course you can always Zip the photos and send as a Zip file.
If you don't want to see attachments when you receive them go to Mail Preferences and under "Viewing" uncheck "Display remote images in HTML messages".

None of this is relevant to what the recipient sees anyway, since that's a function of that person's mail client and how it's set.

OP
S
Reaction score
The only way I know, but there may be other ways, is to Right-click or Control-click on the Photo after in Mail and select View as Icon.
And of course you can always Zip the photos and send as a Zip file.
If you don't want to see attachments when you receive them go to Mail Preferences and under "Viewing" uncheck "Display remote images in HTML messages".

None of this is relevant to what the recipient sees anyway, since that's a function of that person's mail client and how it's set.
Thanks Pomeroy, that did the trick. But that is going to be an annoying aspect of the Mac for me!

Reaction score
If you are serious about creating a stock photo "catalog", you really need to look into Aperture. It'll save you tons of headaches down the road.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.