xserve hangs on start-up

D

decaman

I have an xserve running 10.1 server version that is hanging on start-up. It runs hrough all of its start-up services until "Starting headless Services" then hangs. It is not headless. I don'y need those services, but I can't get by start-up. I can start up into text based single user mode, but I can't find the file to diable headless services. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Try to ssh into your xserve and run software update by typing 'softwareupdate' into your command line. Update everything you see.. then try it. It shouldnt hang on that..

OP
D

decaman

thanks

Murlyn said:
Try to ssh into your xserve and run software update by typing 'softwareupdate' into your command line. Update everything you see.. then try it. It shouldnt hang on that..

Thanks for the tip. I will try the remote update. I have CD's. I was wondering where I can turn the headless services off at. I can't find documentation that explains where to configure the service. If I ssh into the machine I should be able to modify the start up file or the service. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I couldnt either.. and Im pretty sure it's headless if you do not have a monitor in it.. and it's not if you do.. although it's strange that it says booting in headless. You can plug it in after it boots.. which I might suggest you do. I remotely administer two xserves.. so I havent had those issues. But after reading up on it.. it looks like it it hotswappable.. so try that?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.