mac tiger anonymous ip software?

Reaction score
Is there good mac tiger anonymous ip address software available?
Just curious.

Thanks for the info.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Sounds like someone is a little paranoid ;). Any reason you need to hide your IP?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The work involved and the consequences of trying to hide your IP aren't worth it if you're not doing anything wrong online (and I by no means am insinuating you are). While I'm sure Tor does a good job of masking your IP, it is likely that someone could find it if they were determined.

Reaction score
The work involved and the consequences of trying to hide your IP aren't worth it if you're not doing anything wrong online (and I by no means am insinuating you are). While I'm sure Tor does a good job of masking your IP, it is likely that someone could find it if they were determined.
You are wrong on both counts. Read this to learn why: Who uses Tor?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I disagree. First off, the first point in the link you gave me is fallacious. I quote, "Internet Service Providers (ISPs) sell your Internet browsing records to marketers or anyone else willing to pay for it." No they don't. Depending on your jurisdiction, that is easily against privacy laws. For example, in the province of Ontario, it is against the law to collect such information. To quote The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, "No person shall collect personal information on behalf of an institution unless the collection is expressly authorized by statute, used for the purposes of law enforcement or necessary to the proper administration of a lawfully authorized activity" (Section 38.2). You can read the definition of "personal information" in there (too long to quote) and see that this kind of transmission is explicitly protected.

Second, how am I wrong saying that the consequences of trying to hide your IP aren't worth it? Any work to hide your IP is too much if you're not doing anything wrong. Anything that hinders your access to the internet if you are not partaking in illegal or questionable activity is unjustifiable. While I do respect the right to privacy of the individual, by no means should you be worried about your browsing habits if you are safe and careful.

Third, I direct you to the list of caveats on the Tor download page. The way you insinuated I was wrong makes it out that Tor will protect all traffic and completely hide your identity online. Also, read the "staying anonymous" section here. Even the authors of Tor admit that (and rightfully so) that you are not 100% safe using Tor. This Wired article would also be a good read. To quote that article, "But Tor has a known weakness: The last node through which traffic passes in the network has to decrypt the communication before delivering it to its final destination. Someone operating that node can see the communication passing through this server."

In short, no one is 100% private on the internet. There is a level of assumed risk in using it and unless you are doing something you shouldn't, you should have little to worry about.

Reaction score
@vansmith

You obviously didn't bother to read the link I posted, and you still don't know what you are talking about.

1. You don't have to be doing anything "wrong" to want to protect your privacy on the Internet.

2. Tor was developed by the U.S. Government to protect its communications, so it is very secure.

Schwine came here and asked a legitimate question, and all you have done is preach and interfere with those who are trying to answer schwine's question. You know nothing about schwine or why schwine has is a need for privacy. You know nothing about Tor. So why not just get out of the way?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First of all, there is no need to be confrontational. I'm trying to have an intelligent and spirited conversation about privacy. Should you continue this way, you'll get the thread locked and since you want to help this person, I don't think that's what you want.

I agree with your first point wholeheartedly. Everyone has the right to privacy - I wouldn't have linked to FIPPA earlier if I didn't. This does not mean though that you need to be paranoid about your privacy. There are already measures in place in many jurisdictions to protect your privacy. If you go for a bike ride, do you wear a full suit of armour or does a helmet suffice? The point I'm trying to make is that there is being safe or private and there is being paranoid safe or private. For me, there is no justifiable reason for the latter.

As for your second point, I find it contentious. First off, there is no mention on their website that the U.S. government developed Tor. The only mention I found of government involvement was the following: "A branch of the U.S. Navy uses Tor for open source intelligence gathering, and one of its teams used Tor while deployed in the Middle East recently. Law enforcement uses Tor for visiting or surveilling web sites without leaving government IP addresses in their web logs, and for security during sting operations." (source). Use by one branch of one division of the military does not constitute development involvement. In fact, while the military might have helped development at some point, it is now a non-profit organization responsible for development (source). Second, just because the U.S. military uses it doesn't mean it is the most secure, most impenetrable piece of software ever written. While I'm sure they have high standards, nothing is perfect as illustrated by the links I provided earlier (which you evidently didn't read). If one man can get emails sent from embassies (source), I'm sure a concerted effort could be used to collect much more important data through Tor if there was a need. The fact that the project page itself states that, "Tor can't solve all anonymity problems" (source) should be evidence enough that it's not perfect.

There is no need to insinuate that I don't know what I'm talking about if I'm providing links to give credence to my arguments. You may disagree (and I welcome this) but there is no need to argue against my ability (or lack thereof according to you) to make an argument. Argue the point, not the person. I want this to be a good conversation about security and privacy. I'm questioning the ability of Tor to do what the OP has requested and you disagree.

This response is part of a response to the OP. You suggested Tor and I would like to show that it isn't perfect. I would like to question the, and I quote the OP, "basic security" of Tor. From what I have read, it doesn't seem that hard to get users data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.