Help? File Compression not working?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel-based imac.
Hello forum!

(I apologize if I'm not posting in the correct thread!)

When I right-click on a file to compress, I have the options to compress, but not to "archive." So this could be the source of my problem . . .

* After a file is zipped, it's hardly smaller at all. Example, I just compressed a file which was 247.1 MB before and 235.6 MB after.

Any clues to what I need to do to fix this?

Thanks so much in advance. :D

Wanda

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel-based imac.
Eek, sorry, I guess this is a software problem?? I'm so sorry . . . can't find the delete or move button.

Please, don't hurt me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some files are already in a compressed format and therefore will not compress any further. You didn't say which type of files you're trying to compress?

Generally, text files will compress very well while certain graphic or sound files will not. (MP3, JPEG, etc.)

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Zip compression may not compress something very much at all. In fact, zip compression is horrible IMHO.

If you are really looking into saving some space or compress something well, you may want to look into something like gunzip or better yet, bunzip2. You may not notice any difference with either of these but it's worth a shot.

Open up a terminal window (/Application/Utilities/Terminal.app) and type the following to create what is called a "tarred bunzip2 archive":
Code:
tar -cjf [B]name_of_archive[/B].tar.bz2 [B]/directory/here/[/B]
Replace name_of_archive with the name of the archive you want to create and replace /directory/here/ with the path to the folder you want to archive. So, for instance, if you want to archive the folder ~/Documents/Work (~ = home directory, it's a shortcut) and wanted to create an archive called work, you would execute the following:
Code:
tar -cjf work.tar.bz2 ~/Documents/Work/
Again, I can't guarantee you will see much of a difference but sometimes the difference can be quite noticeable.

Note: If you are looking to send this to someone using Windows, they will have to install extra software. You, on the other hand, can decompress it simply by double-clicking it as Finder has support for decompression of tarred bunzip2 archives.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel-based imac.
Ah! Yes, it's an audio book file (.mp3) that I'm trying to compress. I had no idea that this could be normal.

Thanks for your help!

Wanda

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.