Ex-Windows NTFS WD Ext 2x1Tb My Mirror HD probs...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro '08 Xeon 8 Cores @ 2.8Ghz / 8Gb RAM - Leopard 10.5.7
Hi,

I recently switched from PC to Mac.

I used to use a 2x1Tb WD My Mirror Book (RAID 0) USB 2.0 Ext HD as a general storage/onsite back-up solution with my laptop. This was NTFS formatted and worked reasonably well. Here's the specs:

My Book Mirror Edition 2 TB Hard Drives ( WDH2U20000 )

I tried the following in order to make use of them with the Mac:

- Took one drive out of the enclosure and mounted it inside the Mac Pro to give me 1Tb via Bay 3 (Bay 1 - 320Gb Boot/Apps , Bay 2 - 750Gb Data/Pics/Vid/Music etc.).

- Left the other one inside the enclosure thinking that when I format it, it might be useable an external drive fro Time Machine to back-up to.

Problem is that although the Mac recognised them at first when I tried to use Disk Utility and Erase them (selecting Mac OS Extended - Journaled), it brought up an error saying that it had failed regarding both drives: 'File system formatter failed'.

I don't know whether there's some sort of Raid set-up actually within the enclosure which is preventing the ext Drive from being formatted properly but that doesn't explain why the other drive, installed into Bay 3, isn't being recognised.

Have I assumed that this would be something very simple when in fact it is actually something complicated?

Any thoughts?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro '08 Xeon 8 Cores @ 2.8Ghz / 8Gb RAM - Leopard 10.5.7
Problem solved - a lovely man called Stuart helped me over the phone; i like Apple Support!

The drives were set as Master Boot. Using Disk Utility via the Installation Disc meant we could change this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.