Spill Damage?

R

Randlett

Hey,everybody.

I'm a bonehead and I spilled water all over my PowerBook (15"; it was from the batch that had the white spots). I took it to the Apple store, and it turned on, and it booted fine. the only problem was that the battery wouldn't charge. Anyway, either I've dodged a bullet, and just need a new battery, or there's something up with whatever bit of the internal board that manages the battery stuff (I'm kind of new to Macs, and laptops in general, so forgive me for not knowing the proper name).

So, if it's the board whatchamadoodle, does anyone know how much that'll set me back?

OP
M

meltbanana314

The logic boards on Apple computers are somewhat expensive, mostly because they have a lot of componets directly soldered onto it (processors, graphics cards, etc.)

Maybe a little bit less than 2/3rds of what the computer was worth new?

OP
J

jessica

In that case, buying a new PB might be better...don't you think?
Would applecare cover that?

OP
R

Randlett

AppleCare wouldn't cover the spill damage. They told me that when I brought it in. The plan right now is to find out how much repairs'll set me back. If they're more than a new PB, I'll just buy a new one. If they're around, say, 800 bucks, I'll shell out for the repairs.

I'm just antsy and trying to find out what the best options are.

OP
M

meltbanana314

Go (back) to Apple if you haven't already and see exactly what exactly is broken, if it can be easily remedied/repaired and how much it would cost. I'd say if it's more than 2/3rds the cost of the machine, then just bite the bullet and buy a new one.

Good luck, mate. I've gotten a bit more careful when drinking Mountain Dew near my PowerBook after reading this thread. :eek:neye:

OP
R

Randlett

I just got an email saying that they were looking at it, and that it should be a few more days before I know exactly what's up.

Of course, this could always be a good excuse to buy a seventeen-incher...

:bushman:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
my friend spilt a beer on my 15 inch pb about a year ago....sound stopped working and so did the modem....brought it to apple, they told me it'd be cheaper to just buy a new pb or find a logic board on ebay....they also told me to go to a company a few miles down the road from them....when i went there they just said to buy a new pb when i told them i needded a new logic board

but luckily!!!!!!! my powerbook fixed its own sound problem!!!!!!!!!!! modem doesnt work but who the **** cares about modems anyway

btw...spill was in upper right hand corner by the power and eject and speaker

-chris

Reaction score
It sounds to me like the battery is broken as this would happen if it was shorted out. I mean if the power book works fine when plugged in then I should think that replacing the battery should fix it. You could always ask them to test it with a different battery in the shop, !!! It's worth a try. :cool:

OP
S

SamR

I spilled pop on my 15" pb about 6months ago. It wasn't much at all but I have had to deal with some sticky keys because of it. No other problems, though. Best of luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Knowing me I am going to be in this same situation with this PB before I get a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
yea, what was the final disposition of this? anything get fixed or what not?

-chris

OP
D

dstyrk

Oh that's a bummer man.. I got drunk on a flight from LA to Osaka once and spilled a beer on my Laptop.. Never was the same again after that.. :eek:neye:

OP
C

Cloudane

Ouch, I feel for you :(

One thing I've always done from day 1 is keep drinks on a separate table and when drinking, lean well away from the powerbook. Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Randlett said:
Hey,everybody.

So, if it's the board whatchamadoodle, does anyone know how much that'll set me back?

Do you have renters insurance w/computer coverage? A friend of mine spilt Mt. Dew on his iBook and toasted the logic board, he called his insurance company and explained it was cheaper by $800 to fix than replace and they sent him a check, no questions asked (course they're a good company) but most will ask for an estimate.

If you don't have R.I., look into it. It's not expensive.

Reaction score
Is it all you guys drink is Mt Dew and Beer. No coffee spills

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.