• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DV-Video MAC/PC Issue? (Need to convert imported video so that it is cross-platform)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Hello guys & girls.

I have a problem and i wonder if any of you can help,

Me and some friends are in the middle of a video project for our 1st year at University. (The Italian Job remake with remote control minis if anyone is interested). Anyways, we have shot the footage using DV cameras and are hoping to beign editing it soon. However, Because there is only two of us who own MAC we are running into some compatibility problems with the imported footage.

What we did was imported the footage into iMovie and then made copies of the video files in order to put them on to Windows XP machines (so that all of us could work with the footage). The problem is that the files are not recognised by any windows application we have used. I have tried converting the files using quicktime to .mov but the footage is really poor quality and not what we want.

So what it is we need and would be really greatful if anyone can help us with is a means of importing/converting the video footage from our DV cameras in a format that we can use on both PC and MAC.

Thanks in advance.

Chris, :mac:

Reaction score
MrChris said:
Hello guys & girls.

I have a problem and i wonder if any of you can help,

Me and some friends are in the middle of a video project for our 1st year at University. (The Italian Job remake with remote control minis if anyone is interested). Anyways, we have shot the footage using DV cameras and are hoping to beign editing it soon. However, Because there is only two of us who own MAC we are running into some compatibility problems with the imported footage.

What we did was imported the footage into iMovie and then made copies of the video files in order to put them on to Windows XP machines (so that all of us could work with the footage). The problem is that the files are not recognised by any windows application we have used. I have tried converting the files using quicktime to .mov but the footage is really poor quality and not what we want.

So what it is we need and would be really greatful if anyone can help us with is a means of importing/converting the video footage from our DV cameras in a format that we can use on both PC and MAC.

Thanks in advance.

Chris, :mac:

Take this any way you want it, but, get creative and borrow some Wintel software that recognizes DV format. Or maybe try using Quicktime to move it back and forth. You may have to get the pro version, $30 I think.

ed724

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
try exporting it in 'full dv quality' or whatever that option is

-chris

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
coach_z said:
try exporting it in 'full dv quality' or whatever that option is

-chris

Is this done through iMovie?

Cheers,

Chris. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The files that iMovie makes on import aren't actually dv files, so they won't be recognised by dv compatible pc software.
You'll need to add the footage to the timeline in iMovie and then go to 'File->Share'

Then select Quicktime and select 'Expert settings' and then use the export setting 'Movie to DV stream'.

That should create .dv files that can be edited on a pc as well...

(But the files will be huuuge so make sure you have the space)

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Aptmunich said:
The files that iMovie makes on import aren't actually dv files, so they won't be recognised by dv compatible pc software.
You'll need to add the footage to the timeline in iMovie and then go to 'File->Share'

Then select Quicktime and select 'Expert settings' and then use the export setting 'Movie to DV stream'.

That should create .dv files that can be edited on a pc as well...

(But the files will be huuuge so make sure you have the space)

Cool. Thanks for that my friend :mac:

I have an external 80GB HDD that i can use so theres not too much to worry about as regards to space ;)

Thanks again,

Chris,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
MrChris said:
Cool. Thanks for that my friend :mac:

I have an external 80GB HDD that i can use so theres not too much to worry about as regards to space ;)

Thanks again,

Chris,
No problem...
Also have an 80GB external drive - this sucker's almost full! I've started shifting older files onto DVD's and to my iPod...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.