Wireless security: no WEP 40/128-bit hex option. how

Reaction score
Setting up Airport Extreme but the WEP 40/128-bit hex option is not in the drop down menu. How do I get the option to appear?

Any help would be great.

Thank you

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Why would you want it to?

WEP, in any flavor, is an old, dead encryption standard. It can be hacked in less than 5 minutes with readily available tools by your average 13-year-old.

WPA replaced WEP years ago. It's faster, more secure and easier to setup and use.

OP
C
Reaction score
Ahhhh... I don't have much knowledge on networking and its the only way I know how to get my mac and pc sharing internet.

Could you guide me in setting up WPA wireless security so that my mac and xp pc can share an internet connection?

At the moment my airport extreme is having some tantrums. When i attempt to change the security settings it becomes undetectable, even when searching with an address.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ahhhh... I don't have much knowledge on networking and its the only way I know how to get my mac and pc sharing internet.

Could you guide me in setting up WPA wireless security so that my mac and xp pc can share an internet connection?

At the moment my airport extreme is having some tantrums. When i attempt to change the security settings it becomes undetectable, even when searching with an address.

I'll have to defer to someone with more experience with that particular product, as I don't own one. But when you setup wireless security with the Airport Utility, you should be connected to it with an Ethernet cable (not over wireless). Then, you should be able to choose "WPA" as the security/encryption type. It should ask you to choose a password (you'll use this password each time you connect a machine to the Airport Extreme) and once this is done, you can start connecting machines wirelessly.

If you configure the Airport Extreme while using wireless, as soon as you change a security option, you'll get kicked off - maybe that's what you're running into it?

OP
C
Reaction score
Yes, I am connected to the airport via ethernet. I have had it all up and running for about a year, but I just got my computer back from the apple service centre and I am getting into problems. Even the general speed of the machine is so slow, yet I got an extra 2gb of ram installed... seems weird to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
So what did they change at the service centre besides RAM? and what OS is on the Mac and is it the Flying saucer Extreme, the 802.11g unit? Or the square 802.11n jobby

OP
C
Reaction score
The logic board was replaced. Running 10.5.7. The airport is the square non flying saucer type :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
quite a few processes use the MAC - Machine Address Code - which gets changed if you have new Logic board. So u need to set up a new network on the Extreme - use WPA personal and limited access if that is how you had it before. Then reselect both mac and PC onto the new network, if in fact if you plan on using your MBP in other places i would set up a Location for Home with ISP/network details and select Automatic if you are out roaming, makes surfing more reliable.

OP
C
Reaction score
I actually managed to set it all up using WPA Personal and put in timed access for each of my machines. Even the windows machine is working well... the problem I was having is that I have service pack 1 and I needed to download a patch for WPA to work.

Thanks for all the posts, it eventually lead me onto the right path

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have a mate who has 25 years on PCs and feel sure he said service pack 3 was the way to go. Don't quote me but might be worth checking it out.

OP
C
Reaction score
oh ok cool. I havent updated my windows machine for years, if it were up to me I would just trash it. My sister likes to use the PC when she comes over and if the internet isn't working on it I don't hear the end of it :p

Reaction score
In addition to SP3, you should also upgrade the drivers for your wireless NIC in the PC as well. Early drivers didnt support WPA, but that is the way to go for sure!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.