Chessmaster 9000 slow.

Reaction score
This question may not have an answer. I have begun to notice certain software companies will put out a warmed-over Windows program and call it "For the Mac". No support, no updates, no replies from problem posts. (Quicken for the Mac comes to mind).

Anyway, Chessmaster is a first class program on Windows. Actually, it is just as classy on the Mac - it just has some major runtime bugs. To wit...

When I first loaded it, I played it all day long. Worked fine. But a few days later, I noticed it getting slower and slower when outside of an actual game. That is, when logging in, starting a new game, clicking on a different tab, etc. Now it is so slow as to be unusable. It can take up to five minutes to start the program, start a new game, go to the tutorials and so forth. It just sits there with the spinning wait cursor.

Looking at the top command, it indicates that 100 percent of the CPU is being used, but other functions of the Mac are fine. I can surf, program, copy files or anything else while I am waiting for it to come unstuck.

If the problem had occurred at the start, I would have dumped the program in the junk bin and moved on. But since it worked fine for a couple of days and only gotten slower later, then it has apparently filled up a log file, built a huge data tree that is is searching through, or... what? I thought that maybe it was searching the network or internet for something that it wasn't finding, but my traces show that it doesn't try to connect with anything. Dumping the program and reinstalling does not fix it.

Can anybody thing of what it might be doing in the background that has changed since it was installed?

Thanks
Konan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.