Overheating problem, will upgrading memory help?

Xan

Reaction score
Hello, i currently have a Macbook Pro, with 2 Gigabytes of memory that came installed.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03
SMC Version: 1.27f1
Serial Number: W8832562YJX
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

I'm wondering, will upgrading my memory cause my computer to overheat less?

And also, if i do upgrade it would be to 4 GB I was thinking about memory from Crucial 4GB kit (2GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 upgrades for Apple MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (15.4-inch) Laptop/Notebook, CT687602 from Crucial.com Which only costs 55$.

The apple store charges 200$, is there a difference between these two sets?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
yes, it can, only if your computer reaches the maximum amount of ram you have though. If you 2gb and on average, you only use about 1.4gb, the upgrade will not cause the heat to decrease. If you use the whole 2gb, all the time, for memory intensive apps, a memory spike will occur which heats up the ram, then harddrive is used as ram, that causes more heat because the hard drive has to be spun faster than it already is. In that case, the memory will help heat issues as well as battery depletion issues.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Never buy memory from Apple unless you've got $$$ to burn. :) Buy the Crucial kit, it's the same memory without the Apple mark up.

As far as the heating problem is concerned, adding memory in most situations is not going to make the machine run noticeably cooler. The MBP is designed to run warm and should be OK under most conditions. Just don't operate it on a carpeted surface, your lap, on a bed, and so on.

Use a notebook stand if possible. Not only does a stand allow air to flow under the machine, it also gives protection against those accidental spills that seem to occur around notebook computer.

Regards.

OP
X

Xan

Reaction score
Yes, my computer is most definitely using all 2 gigs of RAM, because i play games, such as world of warcraft. Which is a graphic intense, etc game.

So i should buy the crucial kit then? and it will help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
You should. as should I! Actually I will once my paycheck comes in, with 2 gigs I notice lots of fps drops when i turn or while flying, i believe its cause 2 gigs of ram just isnt enough. On my pc im always using like 3.6gigs of ram while playing wow. I know its not a fair comparison as pc to mac but i still think it would use about the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
don't go into this to save heat and what not, get the memory for what extra memory is supposed to do...let you do more at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
What, exactly makes you think your computer is overheating? Is it shutting down?

Have you installed the latest firmware update, which adjusts fan speeds?

OP
X

Xan

Reaction score
It's getting uncomfortably hot, while I'm playing games with high graphics. Yes i have all the firmware updates.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
1. Get a cool pad.
2. Crank the fans all the way up via SMCfancontrol.
3. If you can turn the screen brightness all the way down.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's getting uncomfortably hot, while I'm playing games with high graphics. Yes i have all the firmware updates.

There's a reason that most manufacturers have stopped referring to their portables as "laptops" and started calling them "notebooks", and that's because they really aren't intended to be used on your lap. Apple recommends that you use it on a hard, flat surface like a desk.

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?p...8.pdf&answerid=16777216&src=support_site.home

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 2GB ram DL SuperDrive
heres an idea, while playing games, put ur computer on ur desk and put a little something under the computer in the back so that it is slanted upwards, that will increase airflow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
or you can get a griffin elevator. Then, buy a sheet of plexiglass. Cut to the width of the elevator. Get as many fans(with lights:)) as you can fit(depending on fan width) and put them on the plexiglass(after cutting round holes). That's what i did and have never experienced extreme heat.

OP
X

Xan

Reaction score
When i said it's getting uncomfortably hot, I did not mean on my lap.

I play with a computer cooler on a desk that is elevated.

The computer ONLY gets hot like this when I'm playing games like i said before. Which results in FPS drops, me not being able to listen to Itunes while playing the game, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If u are using at home this style of stand is easy to make up; 10 self drive screws an offcut of compressed board and 30 mins or so;

Click for full size

Reaction score
needdd heeeellleeeeppp! =(

1. Get a cool pad.
2. Crank the fans all the way up via SMCfancontrol.
3. If you can turn the screen brightness all the way down.

I downloaded smcfancontrol but whn i go to save my settings it asks for my ps of an acct w/admin privileges. well i am the only user nd i have the admin privileges. I canged my name/pw to try and see if that worked, it didnt. i went into key chain but i dont see anything that i need to change. how do i get past this point? please help!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.