MacBook - HDTV sound issue.

Reaction score
I've been trawling various forums all day, and whilst I've found numerous threads on this subject I've found nothing which helps.

I'm trying to connect my aluminium MB to this TV:

KDL-32V4000 (KDL32V4000) : BRAVIA TV : Sony

I have the leads from Apple to connect it to a HDMI port (there are three) and this works fine. But I have no sound coming from the TV, it's all coming from the MB itself, which makes watching films etc. rubbish :Grimmace:!

So I bought a Belkin Stereo Cable. I can't find a link to it but it's for connecting iPods and other MP3 players to a stereo but I thought it should work with my MacBook and TV as it is a 3.5mm plug to RCA. Which is what I thought I needed.

I've connected it to the L + R sockets and connected the MB to each HDMI port but I get no sound. Am I doing something wrong or is it just the wrong lead?

Thanks, Dan.

EDIT:

This is not the same lead but I think mine is just a newer version of the same thing:

Buy BELKIN 3.5mm to 2-RCA cable | Belkin 3.5mm plug to 2-rca - Specification | Comet

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That cable should work. However, (and this may sound a bit simple) make sure you're connecting it from the headphone jack output on your MacBook to the L+R inputs on the Sony.

The input mic and output headphone jacks on the MacBook are easily confused.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
The lead works. I just plugged it into the L + R sockets for AV3 and could get sound through the TV on AV3 perfectly. But I still can't get sound whilst viewing the macbook's image.. Which is currently on HDMI 3.. I'll take a picture of the back of the TV so you can tell me where everything should be plugged in.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you tried using the VGA input of the Sony rather than HDMI? That may require purchasing another cable but it might work. I know you would rather view TV in high definition but it may not be possible.

I'm assuming you're using a mini DVI adapter from the output of the MacBook. You didn't mention which model MacBook you have as the newer aluminum models use a mini display port output rather than mini DVI.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
Have you tried using the VGA input of the Sony rather than HDMI? That may require purchasing another cable but it might work. I know you would rather view TV in high definition but it may not be possible.

I'm assuming you're using a mini DVI adapter from the output of the MacBook. You didn't mention which model MacBook you have as the newer aluminum models use a mini display port output rather than mini DVI.

Regards.

Not too worried about it being HD. I only bought the HD lead because the Apple "expert" in the Apple store told me it's the one I needed. And I bought the MB in December so I'm guessing it's the newer model. 13" 2.0 GHz 2.0 GB RAM and 160 GB HDD I think.

Here's the back of the TV.

Photo044.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like you have an input for VGA on the back of the TV - actually a PC input. (It's the DB 15 female connector) You might want to give that a try but as I stated above, it would mean purchasing a different cable and probably a different output adapter. If you do decide to go that route make sure you can return them for a refund in the event it doesn't work.

You will need: mini display port adapter to VGA. VGA cable to the input of the TV. You already have the Belkin audio cable.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
Ok thanks.

I've been reading that most TVs have a way to watch video through an HDMI port but get the Audio from a different source. I'll try that first.

OP
P
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me if getting a 3.5mm - 3.5mm lead would it work? If I plugged it into the 3.5mm socket next to the VGA bit I mean. Or would I need to video to come through the VGA for that to work?

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Some TVs use special plugs in your TV for sound. I know my Sony X series does. So also you have to change the settings on the TV to tell it where to get the sound. One of my HDMI ports has RCA connections next to it which I use. I normally use an my amp day to day for sound.

Reaction score
I think it's because you're plugging in the HDMI to your tv which typically carries sound as well. So your tv is looking for the sounds through the digital HDMI cable. You want to tell it to use the analog signal (L+R).

I really think that's your issue. On my amplifier when I use my DVD player my amp want to default to analog until i change it to digital for my optical cable that first time.

Reaction score
I have a the newer aluminum macbook and i use the mini display port to vga to my tv and i run the audio through my reciever from the headphone jack and it works great. I would say either try that or i would definetely agree with you having to change the audio source for your hdmi input.

OP
P
Reaction score
I know changing the audio source should work but does anyone have any idea how to do it on a Sony Bravia TV? I can't find out how anywhere.

Reaction score
Try different inputs. Sometimes the 3rd HDMI slot will be set to work with the analog audio input so that way you can use a dvd player or computer with a DVI to HDMI out.

That or look in the manual and/or phone tech support.

Good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.