OSX Problems

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought my second hand macbook online last week. When I got it it was working fine. The first day I had it I performed a software update from 10.5.4 to 10.5.7. After the installation I booted the computer and was welcomed by a blue screen! I tried using the install disks to re-install the OS but it kept coming up with the error: This software cannot be installed on this computer.

So I sent it of to get fixed with a local Mac guru. He is not employed by Apple. He told me that he wasn't quie sure what had happend with it but he fixed it, I think he zeroed out the HD and installed OSX 10.5, then gave it back to me. Since then I have restarted it over 10 times with no problem.

Today I turned it on again to be surprisingly greeted by the blue screen which I have recently learnt to hate. I can't understand how it would happen, I have not done anything obvious that I think would cause it.

Can anyone think what the cause of this problem could be and how I could fix it?

One thing that I thought I would mention and I'm not sure if it's connected. I have been having a battery problem with the computer. It always says that the battery is at 100% but it only lasts for around 10 mins. When I turned it on today and was greeted by the blue screen I did not have it plugged in immediatly. I am awaiting a new battery...

Thanks
---
Conor
conormacaoidh.com > Web Design And Hosting

Reaction score
Hi Conor
The battery may be the problem but I have found that all my updating OS X.5.. problems have been due to a clash with Open Office. Could I suggest you remove this if it is on you computer. Just a suggestion
Cheers Patricia

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the link - I am attempting to complete some of those steps now but not many of them are applicable as I can't boot into OSX I just get a blue screen...

And no I am not running OpenOffice.org

OP
C
Reaction score
I just followed the instructions on the above link. On checking the fs I got this error:

** Checking Catalog File
Incorrect block count for file pcsod.pub
(it should be 18 instead of 17)

Later..

** Checking Volume Information
Repairing Volume Information...

Then it ran the check again and passed, but still no luck booting to OSX :-(

I tried the other options as well to no avail...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Do you have the install disc? If so you should run disc utility to see what it throws up.
If not there are other ways, but I'll await the answer first.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I had the same problem on a MacBook that a friend gave me to look at. I tried using Target Disk Mode to reinstall the 10.5.7 combo update, but it didn't work.

Ultimately, I wound up doing an Archive & Install from the Leopard disc and that fixed it. The process to do an Archive & Install is detailed here:

Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5: About installation options

My understanding is that for some reason, the install of 10.5.7 fails part way through on some Macs (no concrete reason, from what I've read). My guess is that 10.5.7 was automatically downloaded and installed by Software Updates, after you received the machine back.

After you recover the machine, download the combo updater to get it back to 10.5.7 and see if that keeps it healthy.

Mac OS X 10.5.7 Combo Update

OP
C
Reaction score
I have already performed an erase and install in which I zeroed out the HD to ensure there were no viruses.

Do you have the install disc? If so you should run disc utility to see what it throws up.
If not there are other ways, but I'll await the answer first.

I have tiger 10.4.10 install disks but when I put them in I get the error that the disks cannot be installed on this computer. But I don't really want to install Tiger - I would rather try and recover my Leopard installation.

I have made some progress. By holding apple + s on startup I logged into a CLI and managed to backup all of my files on an external HD.

Does anyone have any trouble shooting suggestions?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have already performed an erase and install in which I zeroed out the HD to ensure there were no viruses.

I have tiger 10.4.10 install disks but when I put them in I get the error that the disks cannot be installed on this computer. But I don't really want to install Tiger - I would rather try and recover my Leopard installation.

I have made some progress. By holding apple + s on startup I logged into a CLI and managed to backup all of my files on an external HD.

Does anyone have any trouble shooting suggestions?

If you have erased and zeroed out the HD, there's no way you're getting that Leopard installation back. But it's interesting that you say that, because if you did indeed zero out the HD, I'm perplexed as to how you would have recovered data from the CLI - unless of course you did that after you recovered your data.

Just pop your Leopard disk in and install - that's all there is to it. And if you don't have a Leopard disk and are using it without having bought it (it's not a free upgrade), then we can't help you any further here on this forum.

OP
C
Reaction score
Maybe I didn't make myself clear, this is exactly the process I went through:

1 Bought second hand macbook with Leopard preinstalled. Came with Tiger install disks.

2. Got blue screen and went through a whole rigmarole of fixing it. Eventually just zeroed out the HD and a local mac re-seler put Leopard back on it, I had to pay 60 euro and he didn't let me keep the disks.

3. A few days and restarts later got the blue screen again. Logged on to the CLI and backed up my data. Went through some other processes to no avail.

And that's where I am now, Can you advise me further on trobleshooting options?

I have verified the disk and all the hardware with no errors!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe I didn't make myself clear, this is exactly the process I went through:

1 Bought second hand macbook with Leopard preinstalled. Came with Tiger install disks.

2. Got blue screen and went through a whole rigmarole of fixing it. Eventually just zeroed out the HD and a local mac re-seler put Leopard back on it, I had to pay 60 euro and he didn't let me keep the disks.

3. A few days and restarts later got the blue screen again. Logged on to the CLI and backed up my data. Went through some other processes to no avail.

And that's where I am now, Can you advise me further on trobleshooting options?

I have verified the disk and all the hardware with no errors!

At this point, you have two options. You can install Tiger from the discs you have, or purchase Leopard and install that.

The person who sold you the machine had no right to do so with Leopard installed on it and not including the disc. Essentially the license was never transferred to you. And secondly, the reseller had no right to install Leopard on your machine without selling it to you. If you want Leopard, you're going to need to purchase a retail copy of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 2GB ram DL SuperDrive
i had the same thing happen with my powerbook pismo, turned out that the proccesor was loose, just saying maybe something on ur computer is loose(ram,etc)

OP
C
Reaction score
At this point, you have two options. You can install Tiger from the discs you have, or purchase Leopard and install that.

Which brings me to the other problem that I mentioned in my original post... When I insert my tiger discs it gives an error : this software cannot be installed on this computer. I am probably going to purcahse Leopard today, could you advise me as where to buy it online?

But answer me this, If all Leopard installations that I have had have failed and resorted to displaying a blue screen after a few days then what is the likelyhood that if I buy Leopard disks they will work, constistantly?

Would it not be a better idea, since I already have Leopard installed, and it seems in tact from what I can see, to try and recover it. And come to a solution of the problem so that when I do recover it it doesn't just fail again after a few days?

OP
C
Reaction score
i had the same thing happen with my powerbook pismo, turned out that the proccesor was loose, just saying maybe something on ur computer is loose(ram,etc)

How did you discover the problem? DId it show up on a hardware scan because all my scans have returned perfect....

But I know that there is an extra gig of ram in this machine. I might open it up later and take out the ram to see if that's the source of the problem.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is no way you are going to be able to recover Leopard without the proper 10.5 DVD. Amazon is a good place to purchase a new copy of Leopard Retail as their price is a bit lower than Apple.

I have a feeling the reason the Tiger DVD's give that error is the person gave you the wrong DVDs for your machine! The OSX DVD's that come with say a Macbook are only for a machine of those exact specs and will not install on any other Mac.

One thing I would try just in case is with the Tiger DVD in when you get to where you install, go to Disk Utility and format or partition the hard drive then try the install. If it still says it will not install I bet you have the wrong DVD like I said before.

OP
C
Reaction score
Right I'll just buy Leopard then. But as I said, what is the likelyhood of the disks working considering Leopards past on this computer?!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which brings me to the other problem that I mentioned in my original post... When I insert my tiger discs it gives an error : this software cannot be installed on this computer. I am probably going to purcahse Leopard today, could you advise me as where to buy it online?

It sounds as though the restore discs you were given were actually for another machine. I would really take issue with the seller on this one.

As far as buying it online, you can get it directly from Apple's website or any Apple reseller.

But answer me this, If all Leopard installations that I have had have failed and resorted to displaying a blue screen after a few days then what is the likelyhood that if I buy Leopard disks they will work, constistantly?

I believe you're falling victim to the 10.5.7 installation flaw that seems to be related to downloading it automatically from Software Updates. I would recommend installing the combo updater that I linked to previously and installing it manually.

Would it not be a better idea, since I already have Leopard installed, and it seems in tact from what I can see, to try and recover it. And come to a solution of the problem so that when I do recover it it doesn't just fail again after a few days?

The only way I know how to recover it from this point would be to use another Mac to reinstall 10.5.7 from the combo update using Firewire Target Disk Mode. Barring that, you'd have to do an Archive & Install.

See this article:

Mac OS X 10.5.7 Update Issues – Blue Screen - Fixes now available for failed OS X 10.5.7 software update - Softpedia

OP
C
Reaction score
Well you are right, an upgrade to 10.5.7 is what originally caused the problem. But when I got Leopard reinstalled it was on 10.5 and i didn't update and the problem still recurred.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well you are right, an upgrade to 10.5.7 is what originally caused the problem. But when I got Leopard reinstalled it was on 10.5 and i didn't update and the problem still recurred.

OK, I thought I had addressed this on a number of occasions, but perhaps I wasn't clear.

There is a service called "Software Update". It automatically checks in with Apple periodically to see if there are any updates available for your OS. When it finds them, it will automatically install them.

10.5.7 is distributed in this manner. The automatic update is known to cause the exact issue that you have. Resolving the problem involves MANUALLY installing the combo update, as downloaded MANUALLY from Apple (I have linked to the file previously above).

Does that make sense?

OP
C
Reaction score
Another question. How should I know which discs to buy? My macbook was made in 2007, 2gb ram (came with 1) 120GB HD, 1.83 dual core

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.