Magically disappearing data

AYW

Reaction score
A very strange thing happened to me yesterday. Hundreds (!!) of data files in some of my folders started to disappear, when viewing with Finder. It would tell me "0 items" in the folders I click on, and show nothing. The data seemed to disppear backwards in time from the folders created most recently in the last couple of days. The folders were still there, however, they just displayed as empty.
So I looked in trash, which was full, but did not find my data. Then the trash emptied by itself!!
At that point, I was freaking out and decided to turn off the computer, before more data disappeared. After a few minutes, cautiously, with dread, I turned on the computer and found everything was back to normal!
Has this happened to anyone else? Is this a sign that it is time to replace the hard drive? Is it a virus?
Thanks for any advice, in advance.
Dual 2.7 GHz PowerPC G5, Mac OSX 10.4.11

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Large amount of files in Trash may have caused a memory problem. Try to clean the Trash regularly ;).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.