MSPaint equivalent for Mac?

B

Basileus

I'm a recent switcher (iBook G4 12.1) in need of a bare-bones image editor (hopefully freeware) with features equal to Microsoft's tried and true Paint program. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 1.25 Ghz, 40GB HD, 512MB Ram, 32MB video, 8X SuperDrive, 80GB external USB drive
If your iBook came with appleworks, there's a drawing program included in that suite. :black:

OP
M

meltbanana314

****!

GIMP.app (http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/) + X11 (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/x11/) will work, but not as well as MacGIMP.

This is one of the reasons I hate the GNU GPL. I think that closed-source binaries of software should be free and the source code (which can be modified, but not redistributed) should cost money.

In the case of MacGIMP, I think they have the source available (which you can build from, but that costs time and processing power) but the binaries cost money. It's backwards.

OP
B

Basileus

What about something called Graphic Converter? How does it compare, and is it freeware?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
what really erks me about macGIMP is that they are acctually charging for open source software , it makes no sense at all really ..

if you want a ms style paint prog , tuxpaint for the mac is similar . even though it has a kiddie theme to it .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 1.5ghz PB,1gb RAM,64mb ATI,80gb HD+PowerMac G4 867mhz,640mb RAM,60gb HD+AirPort xpress+15gb Ipod
I was having problems looking for something like MSpaint. I was about to look for something freeware to download, when I then read through a similar forum, and it appears "graphic converter" can be used as much to create images as it can to convert them. Its shareware (I recommend paying though!) but was bundled with Mac OS X on my PowerBook. It's got an exhaustive amount of functions and settings as well as some powerful features.

OP
M

mangoSharingan

I don't really like GIMP because it takes too long to load (anything which takes more than like 3-4 seconds to load, just to quickly edit an image is too long for me, lol). I just want something simple and fast like Paint too so that I can resize and copy/paste images, not something more advanced like Paintshop Pro. But since there's nothing else, there's no option but for me to use it :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
Have you looked at Photoshop Elements? It's not free but its a nice snappy app that will do what you want.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.